Finding an average of a signal using Fast Fourier Transform?

In summary, the conversation discusses about finding the average of a discrete signal without knowing its periods. One suggestion is to use fft in MATLAB to get the frequency spectrum and use the 0Hz value as the average. However, it is questioned if this is a bad idea and if there are other ways to find the average. Another suggestion is to simply add all the values of the signal and divide by the total number of samples, but this may not work if the signal does not have complete periods. The conversation concludes by suggesting to first find the fundamental period of the signal and then find the average from the samples of one period.
stevenphy2
Hi all,
I have discrete data of a signal but I do not know the periods of the signal.
The signal is like a "beat" I guess, but not really sure.
I plan to use fft in MATLAB to get it's frequency spectrum and get the 0Hz value as the average of the signal.
Is this a bad idea?
Any other ways to do this?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you really want to know only average of the signal, you can simply add all the values of your signal (discrete data) and divide by total number of samples. Why to take fft? Anyway fft also does exactly the same thing to find value at 0Hz.

n.karthick said:
If you really want to know only average of the signal, you can simply add all the values of your signal (discrete data) and divide by total number of samples. Why to take fft? Anyway fft also does exactly the same thing to find value at 0Hz.

Adding them and divide it by the total number of samples will work only if my signal is of complete periods, right?
For example, if my full signal is a cosine wave, but I just have data that are half of the wavelength, it will not give me an average of zero.
I am wondering if there is something that can generate a "meaningful average" even if I do not have exactly complete wavelengths, say I have 5.5 wavelengths..?

stevenphy2 said:
Adding them and divide it by the total number of samples will work only if my signal is of complete periods, right?
For example, if my full signal is a cosine wave, but I just have data that are half of the wavelength, it will not give me an average of zero.

Yes you are right. I think, you should first find the fundamental period of your signal (in case you don't know). Once you know that, you can find average of your signal from the samples of one period.

I can say that using Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) to find the average of a signal is a valid and commonly used method. FFT is a powerful tool that allows us to transform a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, providing valuable information about the signal's components and characteristics. In this case, the 0Hz value obtained from the FFT can indeed be used as an estimate of the average of the signal.

However, it is important to note that the accuracy of this approach depends on the characteristics of the signal and the data itself. If the signal is not periodic or has a lot of noise, the 0Hz value may not accurately represent the average. In such cases, it would be beneficial to explore other methods, such as averaging over a certain range of frequencies or using a different type of transform.

Overall, using FFT to find the average of a signal is a valid approach, but it is always important to critically evaluate the results and consider other methods if necessary. Additionally, understanding the limitations and assumptions of FFT is crucial in interpreting the results accurately.

1. What is Fast Fourier Transform (FFT)?

Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) is an algorithm used to quickly calculate the discrete Fourier transform (DFT) of a signal. It converts a signal from its original time-domain representation into a frequency-domain representation, showing the frequency components present in the signal.

2. How does FFT help in finding the average of a signal?

FFT allows us to analyze the frequency components of a signal. By finding the average of the signal's amplitudes in the frequency domain, we can determine the dominant frequencies present in the signal and calculate the average value of the signal.

3. Can FFT be used for signals with varying amplitudes?

Yes, FFT can be used for signals with varying amplitudes. The algorithm takes into account the amplitude of each frequency component in the signal, allowing for a more accurate calculation of the average.

4. Are there any limitations to using FFT for finding the average of a signal?

One limitation of using FFT for finding the average of a signal is that it assumes the signal is periodic. This means that the signal must repeat itself over a certain period of time for the algorithm to work effectively. Additionally, FFT may not be suitable for signals with a high level of noise.

5. How can FFT be implemented in practice?

FFT can be implemented using various programming languages, such as MATLAB or Python. It involves taking the discrete samples of a signal, performing the FFT algorithm, and then calculating the average of the resulting frequency components. There are also many digital signal processing tools and libraries available that make implementing FFT easier.