New frequency generation in AM signal

sophiecentaur said:
"any form" is an overstatement. Phase and amplitude changes are linear.
No, they are nonlinear.
There may be no sidebands before or after the change, but sidebands are present during the change.

That is where phase modulation and amplitude modulation come from.

AM is one dimensional, the product of a sinewave and one changing transmission coefficient.

PM is two dimensional, the separate AM, of separated sine and a cosine waves, that are linearly added.

If the phasor points a different way, or has a different magnitude, that requires a non-linear change to the signal path.

The change over time, of a linear parameter, must be interpreted as the product of two signals over time. One is the parameter that changes. When you turn a light switch on, or off, you modulate the light.

Likes Averagesupernova
Physics news on Phys.org
Baluncore said:
No, they are nonlinear.
Yes you are strictly right but it involved a second varying (modulating) signal. I put it badly but I was assuming a non varying parameter - like the gain of a fixed attenuator. That is very different from the effect of a diode etc where the input signal can 'affect itself' without the need for a modulating signal or any changing parameter.

But, as has been mentioned above, we are chasing our tales. The basic theory is perfectly secure and, in our individual ways, we are trying to provide short cut answers which is risky and can sound like an argument about basics.

Two signals (or more), one signal with a non-linear device in the signal path, it doesn't matter. Both examples involve changing the carrier which generated sidebands. I believe we are in agreement there. The math says it's so, so it has to hold in the real world.
-
Discussion of what the transistors, diodes, poor connection on an antenna wire, etc do when encountering a carrier is a different area of discussion and if the op asks this specifically we should try to answer. But the basic has been said. Change a carrier, get new frequencies.

sophiecentaur said:
But, as has been mentioned above, we are chasing our tales.
It is difficult trying to follow your tall tales, but I am not chasing my tail.

If only the addition of variables is involved, it is linear.
If the multiplication of variables is involved, it is non-linear.

Likes tech99 and Averagesupernova
Baluncore said:
No, they are nonlinear.
Yes you are strictly right but it involves a second varying (modulating) signal. I put it badly but I was assuming a non varying parameter - like the gain of a fixed attenuator. That is very different from the effect of a diode etc where the input signal can 'modulate itself' without the need for a modulating signal or any changing parameter.
We know a linear device when we see one.

It does not matter if a variable is a signal or a circuit parameter.
Nor does it matter what makes any variable change.
Multiplication of variables is non-linear.
Addition of variables, or multiplication by a constant, is linear.
sophiecentaur said:
It is too easy to hope something that looks linear is linear.
To be safe, we know a non-linear device when we see new frequencies appearing.
We must then take the time to identify the variables and the source of the multiplication.

Baluncore said:
It is too easy to hope something that looks linear is linear.
This is getting a bit daft. A 3dB attenuator, made with metal resistors 'looks; linear and it behaves linearly. I was merely trying to contrast this with a resistor network which has a diode nestling in there somewhere. I reckon we could tell the two circuits apart with a simple spectrum analyser. In one case there will be detectable products and not in the other. Why are you bothering to argue with this? Is it a "tall tail"?

sophiecentaur said:
A 3dB attenuator, made with metal resistors 'looks; linear and it behaves linearly. I was merely trying to contrast this with a resistor network which has a diode nestling in there somewhere.
If you include what the quoted above network does as part of my statement about changing a sine wave will always create new frequencies then I guess I stand corrected. But I think you know better than to suggest I'm saying that. If you truly believe I would suggest such a thing then why not take it a step farther and suggest I am claiming the same thing when a carrier signal is completely dissipated in a load resistor?
-
You said it yourself:
sophiecentaur said:
But yet it seems you claim that @Baluncore and I do not see the difference.

Averagesupernova said:
But yet it seems you claim that @Baluncore and I do not see the difference.
I know you guys know all this and also the definition of a linear medium. Where components are concerned, you have to look at both Current and Voltage to decide on the linearity. Saying that the "carrier signal" is completely dissipated in a load resistor requires the concept of matching and this is going much further than necessary. We're only choosing to use different words to partially describe a situation. We'd have no argument if we wrote the Maths out.

sophiecentaur said:
Saying that the "carrier signal" is completely dissipated in a load resistor requires the concept of matching and this is going much further than necessary.
Right here. What you just said is the basis of the issue I am having with your posts. It is just more confusion added for no good reason (in my opinion). We can impedance match or not match. Any sidebands generated due to this is not relevant to the basics of this thread.
-
I believe I should have been more careful with my words. Attenuating a carrier in a network of resistors is technically 'changing' the carrier and someone not as familiar with all of this could assume sidebands would be generated when the are not with fixed attenuation.

Averagesupernova said:
It is just more confusion added for no good reason (in my opinion).
That's the most common problem with PF threads. Someone asks a question to which there is either a hand waving answer or a full one. In actual fact, the wording of a basically simple answer can be a minefield but otoh, the mathematical answer can confuse the questioner. Then the chat on the sidelines gets even more confusing and our use of terms can get very loose.

Can't win. :smile:

I agree, you cannot win.

The problem with this thread was two early false assumptions, that electronic components were involved, and that an optical chopper was a linear component.
A chopper, or a switch, is non-linear because it has a variable transmission coefficient.

The Fourier Transform is mathematics. There is no need to discuss, the components of electronic technology, if the linear addition of variables, or the non-linear multiplication of variables, can explain it so simply.

What I took away from the original post was this:
semc said:
If new frequencies are actually generated, what is the physical mechanism that generates these new frequencies?
There are only thousands of ways to accomplish this. It's not practical to answer all of them. Don't expect perfection. Keep it as simple as possible. If related questions arise, they can be answered or the op can be shown links that lead to answers.