Finding an equation to represent a jerk

• Thread starter hover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jerk
In summary, a jerk is a change in acceleration with respect to time. An equation for jerk that does not involve time can be derived by substituting the equation for time into other kinematic equations. However, this equation may not be applicable in real-world situations where jerk is not constant over time. The color of LaTeX equations may appear black if using an older version of Internet Explorer, and upgrading to a newer version or using a different browser can solve this issue.
hover
hey everyone,
The title of this thread explains what I'm trying to do. I want to find an equation that can represent a jerk. A jerk is a change in acceleration with respect to time. What I really want though is an equation for a jerk that doesn't have a time variable in it. I think I know the answer but I want people to back up my answer so here we go.

We know that this is true
[tex] j=j [/tex]

A jerk is equal to a jerk... this really doesn't tell us anything about a jerk. So we now integrate by dt and we get
[tex] \int jdt= jt+C_1 [/tex]

The units of this equation are equal to an acceleration so this equation must be this
[tex] jt+a_i=a_f [/tex]

Of course, we can keep integrating till we get down to distances so i'll show those now without doing the work.
[tex] \frac{jt^2}{2}+a_it+v_i=v_f [/tex]
[tex] \frac{jt^3}{6}+\frac{a_it^2}{2}+v_it=d [/tex]

Ok so now I have three equations that I could at least try solving for a jerk but there is a problem. All these equations involve time. The next logical thing that I can do is to substitute "t" into an equation, but first I need an equation to solve for time. I'll use the first equation.
[tex] jt+a_i=a_f [/tex]
[tex] jt=a_f-a_i [/tex]
[tex] t=\frac{a_f-a_i}{j} [/tex]

Now I'll substitute that into the second equation.
[tex] \frac{jt^2}{2}+a_it+v_i=v_f [/tex]
[tex] \frac{j(a_f-a_i)^2}{2j^2}+\frac{a_i(a_f-a_i)}{j}+v_i=v_f [/tex]
then I simplify and try to get j on one side
[tex] \frac{a_f^2-2a_fa_i+a_i^2}{2j}+\frac{a_fa_i-a_i^2}{j}+v_i=v_f [/tex]
[tex] \frac{a_f^2-2a_fa_i+a_i^2}{2j}+\frac{a_fa_i-a_i^2}{j}=v_f-v_i [/tex]
[tex] \frac{a_f^2-2a_fa_i+a_i^2}{2j}+\frac{2a_fa_i-2a_i^2}{2j}=v_f-v_i [/tex]
[tex] \frac{a_f^2-2a_fa_i+a_i^2+2a_fa_i-2a_i^2}{2j}=v_f-v_i [/tex]
[tex] \frac{a_f^2-a_i^2}{2j}=v_f-v_i [/tex]
[tex] \frac{a_f^2-a_i^2}{v_f-v_i}=2j [/tex]
[tex] \frac{a_f^2-a_i^2}{2(v_f-v_i)}=j [/tex]

So the final equation I get is this
[tex] j=\frac{a_f^2-a_i^2}{2(v_f-v_i)} [/tex]

but is this right? Let's check the units. On top we have meters^2 per second^4 and on the bottom we have meters per second
[tex] \frac {m^2}{s^4}* \frac{s}{m}= \frac {m}{s^3} [/tex]

Well at least the units are right but is this equation right?

Thanks for helping me out! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
looks fine, is jerk stands for the word jerk I know or am I missing something here?
why would you need an equation to represent a jerk :confused:

drizzle said:
looks fine, is jerk stands for the word jerk I know or am I missing something here?

I was just extremely curious. I've been wanting to know an equation for a jerk for awhile now. What fueled my curiosity even more was the extreme lack of equations for a jerk. I have been searching everywhere for an equation that can represent a jerk. From my old physics book from high school and on the internet. I could never find an equation.

drizzle said:
In physics, "jerk" means "rate of change of acceleration", in the same way that "acceleration" means "rate of change of velocity" and "velocity" means "rate of change of distance".

hover said:
I was just extremely curious. I've been wanting to know an equation for a jerk for awhile now. What fueled my curiosity even more was the extreme lack of equations for a jerk. I have been searching everywhere for an equation that can represent a jerk. From my old physics book from high school and on the internet. I could never find an equation.
To be honest, I haven't checked whether your equation is right or not. It sounds plausible. The reason you haven't found an equation is the books is because you are assuming the jerk remains constant over time. In the real world, that's unlikely to be true, so your equation isn't really of much practical use. (In my view.)

DrGreg said:
In physics, "jerk" means "rate of change of acceleration", in the same way that "acceleration" means "rate of change of velocity" and "velocity" means "rate of change of distance".

I see, he did mention that in his post :smile:

Could someone tell me why all the latex equations used in , say the first post, come out BLACK...cannot read them...maybe my Computer Settings ??
anyone had that problem?

hover said:
So the final equation I get is this
[tex] j=\frac{a_f^2-a_i^2}{2(v_f-v_i)} [/tex]

but is this right? Let's check the units. On top we have meters^2 per second^4 and on the bottom we have meters per second
[tex] \frac {m^2}{s^4}* \frac{s}{m}= \frac {m}{s^3} [/tex]

Well at least the units are right but is this equation right?

Thanks for helping me out! :smile:

That equation's right because a common kinematic equation is Vf2-Vi2=2ad. For jerk, velocity corresponds to distance, acceleration to velocity, and jerk to acceleration, so the equation for jerk should logically be Af2-Ai2=2jv

Creator said:
Could someone tell me why all the latex equations used in , say the first post, come out BLACK...cannot read them...maybe my Computer Settings ??
anyone had that problem?

take a look at the thread "why is the math output hard to read sometimes" in the forum feedback section. I bet you're using internet explorer 6...

Creator said:
anyone had that problem?
You are probably using Internet Explorer v6 or some earlier version. If you are allowed to install software on the computer you use, you should upgrade to either a later version of Internet Explorer, or some other browser such as Firefox or Safari. There was a discussion about this towards the end of this thread (post #63 onwards). If you can't install software, all you can do is click on each equation to see the LaTeX that was used to create it.

Oops...gmax137 beat me to it!

Xf=Xo+Vot+1/2aot2+1/6Jt3

af2=ao2+2J(Vf-Vo)

I'm not 100% on that second one

1. What is a jerk in physics?

A jerk is the rate of change of acceleration. It is the third derivative of an object's position with respect to time.

2. How is jerk measured?

Jerk is measured in units of meters per second cubed (m/s³) or feet per second cubed (ft/s³).

3. Why is it important to find an equation to represent jerk?

Having an equation to represent jerk allows for a more complete understanding of an object's motion. It can also be useful in engineering applications, such as designing vehicles or machines with smoother movements.

4. How can an equation for jerk be derived?

An equation for jerk can be derived by taking the third derivative of an object's position equation with respect to time. It can also be derived from the second derivative of the velocity equation.

5. Are there any real-world examples of jerk?

Yes, examples of jerk can be seen in everyday activities such as driving a car, riding a rollercoaster, or throwing a ball. It can also be observed in more complex systems, such as the movements of satellites or the vibrations of a guitar string.