1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding an integral using trig. substitution

1. Sep 21, 2012 #1
    The integral from 0 to pi/2 of:

cos(t)/sqrt(1+sin^2(t)) dt

I'm supposed to use trig. substitution to find the solution. I started by using the formula a^2+x^2 to get x=atanx. In this case, sin(t)=(1)tan(θ), and so cos(t)dt=sec^2(θ)dθ and so I substituted this into the equation and got:

sec^2(θ)/sqrt(1+tan^2(θ)) -> sec^2(θ)/sqrt(sec^2(θ)) -> sec(θ)

Now, I have the integral of sec(θ)dθ, which equals ln abs(secθ+tanθ). When I take this integral at 0, it turns out to be 0, and so I'm left with the answer being solely the integral at pi/2. The problem is that the secant at pi/2 is infinity and so is the tangent at pi/2, and so the answer ends up being infinity, and this is apparently wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2012 #2
    It would be better if you substitute sin(t)=x.

4. Sep 21, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

A trig substitution can be used after you use the substitution that Pranav-Arora recommends.

5. Sep 21, 2012 #4
    I substituted sin(t)=x and got:

1/sqrt(1+x^2)dx

but when I use the trig. substitution with this integral, I come up with the same thing I had before. I don't think I understand how to do it substituting sin(t)=x and then using a trig. substitution, like Mark said.

6. Sep 21, 2012 #5
    Never mind. I eventually figured out how to translate the upper and lower limits of the integrand over to the final versions. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook