Solving Integral of dt/ (√(t^2 -6t + 13) with Trig Substitution

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jbreezy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral Trig
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Jbreezy
Messages
582
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Integral of dt/ (√(t^2 -6t + 13)

Homework Equations


I sub
v = t-3, and v = 2tan(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution



first I completed the square of t^2 -6t + 13, I got (t-3)^2 +4

Also I say v = t-3
∫ dv/ (√(v^2 +4)
I then sub in trig

∫(2sec^2(θ)dθ / 2√(tan^2(θ) +1) = ∫ (sec^2(θ)/ secθ)dθ

= ln|secθ +tanθ| = ln|(√v^2+4)/2 + v/2| edit sec here
= ln| √((t-3)^2 +4/2) + (t-3)/2| +c
I feel it isn't correct. What did I do?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One thing you did was write ##\sec\theta## in terms of ##v## incorrectly.
 
OK, I fixed it. I flipped it back it was OK on my paper just not when I rewrote it on the forum.
 
Try differentiating your result and seeing if you recover the integrand. That's the easiest way to check your answer.