Finding an interception point?

• Thread starter The Guardian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the interception point of two objects moving at different velocities on a 2D plane. The goal is to find the point at which both objects reach at the same time. The conversation also covers the use of equations and variables to calculate the time and coordinates of the interception point. It is mentioned that the angle between the two objects has a small effect on the time, but it is mostly dependent on the velocities. It is also noted that there may be cases where an interception is not possible.
The Guardian
Sorry I wasn't sure which forum exactly to put this into.

I'm writing a computer game, and I have an object departing from 0,0 on a 2D plane with known and constant velocity and slope. X and Y will always be positive.

I also have a point on that plane with different but known (and constant) velocity.

What I'm not sure about is how to find the interception point that has the least amount of time. I know if I simply move on a perpendicular slope from the known X,Y coordinates it will be the shortest time for that object but not for the object traveling from 0,0 necessarily.

So basically I need the point at which the time for both objects to reach that point is the same.

Help please? :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ummm if I got it right you actually want to know in which direction to go with the other point to intercept first one as soon as possible. Your trajectory will surely be a straight line.
If you draw a line between two originating points you get a triangle. One angle is known, all you have to do is write down the equation. (a^2=b^2+c^2-2*b*c*cos(fi)), fi is the angle between b and c.
You get an equation for time. From this, calculation is very simple...

Yes I suppose if I know the angle I can figure out the point of interception. And of course there is the possibility that it can't be intercepted.

I wasn't really sure how you were using the variables so I drew a diagram in Paint.

Point s is the starting point of the second object. Point p is the point of interception.

We know the length of c, and we can know the angle A. We also know the velocity along the paths a and b.

What I need to know in the end is: if an interception is possible, the length of a, and the coordinates of point p.

Attachments

• plot.JPG
    plot.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 531
Length of a = v2*t, b=v1*t, this reduces problem to just one variable, t... if there exists some sensible solution of t (real, positive), this problem has a solution. Calculation of a and p is easy when you have t.
(condition for having a solution for t is that v2^2 >= v1^2*(sin(fi))^2. However, if v2^2=v1^2 and sin(fi)=1, problem has no solution)

OK, so if I plug those lengths in and then run it through the quadratic equation I can solve for t right?

t = ( -2 * v1 * Cos(fi) +/- sqrt( (2 * v1 * Cos(fi))2 - 4 * (v12 - v22) * c2) ) / 2 * (v12 - v22)

Look right?

Seems right. You could simplify equation a bit if you require more speed when running your game.

Cool thanks! I don't really need to speed it up I think it'll run fine, but out of curiosity how would you simplify that given that you don't know v1, v2, c, or the angle at compile time, only at run-time?

... so t is mostly dependent on the actual velocities of the two objects and the angle has very very little effect, right? If I use c=240, v1 = 20, v2 = 100 and fi=10° I get ~2.45 seconds, but I get the same if I set fi=40°. On the other hand with fi at 40, I do not have a legal value with which find find angle B which I assume means that an interception is impossible? (makes sense given the larger angle)...

What is an interception point?

An interception point is a location or moment in time where two or more objects or phenomena intersect or cross paths.

Why is finding an interception point important?

Finding an interception point can provide valuable information about the relationship between different objects or phenomena and can help predict future events.

How do scientists find an interception point?

Scientists use mathematical and scientific methods such as equations, simulations, and experiments to calculate and determine the interception point between two or more objects or phenomena.

What factors can affect the accuracy of finding an interception point?

The accuracy of finding an interception point can be affected by factors such as measurement errors, environmental conditions, and the complexity of the objects or phenomena involved.

Can an interception point change over time?

Yes, an interception point can change over time as the objects or phenomena involved may have changing velocities or trajectories. It is important for scientists to continuously monitor and recalculate interception points to account for these changes.