1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding an upper bound for a contour integral (Complex)

1. Aug 20, 2016 #1
    C1 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
    Using the ML inequality, I have to find an upper bound for the contour integral of \int e^2z - z^2 \, dz
    where the contour C = C1 + C2.

C1 is the circular arc from point A(sqrt(3)/2, 1/2) to B(1/2, sqrt(3)/2) and C2 is the line segment from the origin to B.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured I have to find M1 and M2, and also L1 and L2 given the two different contours. Along C1, I have found the length to be pi/6 by integrating a parameterized equation of the unit circle from pi/6 to pi/3. I have also found the length along C2 to be 1 (no surprises here)

However, I've hit a bump when trying to find the upper bound for e^2z - z^2.
    I figured I should use the triangle inequality i.e. |e^2z - z^2|
    <= |e^2z| + |-z^2|
    = |e^2z| + |z^2|
    = |e^2z| + |z|^2
    = |e^2z| + 1 (since the length of the line segment is one).

I'm kind of stuck when it comes to the e^2z. It's the same problem for finding the upper bound on C2 as well.

I'm sorry for not using Latex. I tried formatting it but it doesn't come out as intended in the Preview, so I decided not to take the risk of fudging it up and making it look confusing. I'm quite sleepy, sorry.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2016 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

If [itex]z = x + iy[/itex] then [itex]e^z = e^x (\cos y + i \sin y)[/itex]...

4. Aug 20, 2016 #3
    Thank you so much, I've got it :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted