Finding angle between two lines

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle between two lines given the equations x-3=2-y and z=1. The conversation explores ways to express these equations in parametric form and convert them into vector equations. Multiple examples are provided, ultimately leading to the conclusion that there are many ways to parametrize a line and the direction vectors will still be parallel.
jeffreylze

Homework Statement

Two lines

x-3=2-y , z=1

x=7, y-2=z-5

Find the angle between the lines

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The thing is that, i have no idea how to turn that into either (x,y,z) coordinates, parametric equations or vector equation. So, I really am stuck here. =/

Physics news on Phys.org
WHY can't you express them in parametric form? Choose y to be the parameter. Express the other variables in terms of y.

But how do you express the z term in terms of y?

jeffreylze said:
But how do you express the z term in terms of y?

z=1+0*y, if you want to write it that way. z doesn't have any y dependence. Nothing wrong with that.

oh, so it will be

x = 5-y
y
z = 1

x= 7
y
z= y+3

Hence, to find the angle, i will need two direction vectors, right? But how do i convert that into vector equation? r = ro + tv

I would write the first one, for example, as x=5-t, y=t, z=1. It can be a little confusing if you use the same name for the parameter as you do for the coordinate. Now you want r=(x,y,z)=(constant vector)+t*(another constant vector). Why don't you have a guess what those constant vectors might be?

Oh, i see. So it will be r = (5,0,1) + t*(-1,1,0) , what if i let x = t ? That will give me, r = (0,5,1) + t*(1,-1,0) . Or it doesn't matter? Because the direction vector is what I am after? Am I right here, or am I completely off track?

You're on track. Another possibility is r=(5,0,1)+t*(-2,2,0). I just changed t -> 2*t. It's still the same line. There are lots of ways to parametrize a line. And, yes, in any two different ways of doing it, the direction vectors will still be parallel.

I see. Now, it all makes sense. Thanks a lot =D

What is the formula for finding the angle between two lines?

The formula for finding the angle between two lines is tan-1((m1 - m2) / (1 + m1m2)), where m1 and m2 are the slopes of the two lines.

How do you find the slope of a line?

The slope of a line can be found by dividing the change in y-values by the change in x-values between two points on the line. It can also be found using the formula m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are two points on the line.

What does the angle between two lines represent?

The angle between two lines represents the amount of rotation required to align one line with the other. It can also be thought of as the difference in direction between the two lines.

When is it necessary to find the angle between two lines?

Finding the angle between two lines is necessary when working with geometric figures or solving problems involving intersecting lines. It can also be useful in fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation.

Can the angle between two lines be negative?

Yes, the angle between two lines can be negative. This indicates that the lines are in opposite directions or have a difference in direction greater than 180 degrees. In these cases, the angle is usually measured as a negative value between -180 and 0 degrees.