1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding area between 2 curves with 3 intersections

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need help getting the area between 2*x^3-x^2-5*x and -x^2+2*x. I found the intersections at +/- sqrt(7/2) and 0.

2. Relevant equations
    f(x)=2*x^3-x^2-5*x
    g(x)=-x^2+2*x

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is the problem, I know that for something simple like x^2 and sqrt(x)+14 they intersect at x=4, so it is 2/3x^(3/2)-x^3/3 from 0 to 4 giving 40 square units, so generally speaking I remember how to do this. I know that it should be integral of top function - integral of bottom function, I also know that f(x)>g(x) on the initial interval (-sqrt(7/2),0) and then it switches to g(x)>f(x) from (0,sqrt(7/2)) so my work reflected that by splitting the integrals but I keep getting negative areas and just plain non-sense. I can't remember what I need to do exactly and in what order for something like this.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the interval -√(7/2) < x < 0, f(x) > g(x) , so you should integrate f(x)-g(x) .

In the interval 0 < x < √(7/2), g(x) > f(x) , so you should integrate g(x)-f(x) .

4. Feb 13, 2012 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

you've probably just got the functions mixed up, your method sounds reasonable, the actual integral is
    [tex]
    Area = \int_{\sqrt{7/2}}^{\sqrt{7/2}} |f(x) - g(x)|dx
    [/tex]

say you know f(x)>g(x) on (-\sqrt{7/2}} ,0) and g(x)>f(x) on (0,\sqrt{7/2}} ) then the intergal can be written
    [tex]
    Area = \int_{\sqrt{7/2}}^{\sqrt{7/2}} |f(x) - g(x)|dx
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    = \int_{-\sqrt{7/2}}^{0}(f((x) - g(x))dx + \int_{0}^{\sqrt{7/2}} (g(x) - f(x))dx

[/tex]

5. Feb 13, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the clarification. It turns out I did know what I was doing and I was doing the Calculus correct I just made a boo boo in my algebra, -x^2-(-x^2) is clearly not -2x^2 lol thanks so much though for taking the time to re-educate me :)!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook