1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding Area Between Two Polar Curves

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1
    This particular problem is just confusing me in the setup. I need to find the area that is inside both:
    r=sqrt(3)cos(theta) and r=sin(theta)

It makes a petal type shape. I was beating my head around for a while, but I reasoned that since the equation used to find the area cuts out in a straight line. I could just move in either direction following the appropriate functions and get the area by adding the two parts together:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}[\int_{\frac{\pi}{3}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} (\sqrt{3}cos(\theta))^{2}) d\theta + \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{3}} (sin(\theta)^{2} d\theta][/tex]

It makes sense to me, but my final answer was 17pi\4 + 3sqrt(3)/8, however the book states the answer is 5pi/24 - sqrt3/4. Is my setup wrong, or did I just mess up with the integration?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You just messed up the integration.

It's probably just a typo, but the book's answer should be [itex]5\pi/24-\sqrt{3}/4[/itex].

4. Sep 26, 2010 #3
    It was a typo. The book had that answer. Thanks, I'll check my work again.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook