Finding Cells in Lattices: Exploring Complex Plane Structures

In summary, the conversation discusses a map from the Gaussian integers to the natural numbers, and three points about its properties. The first point is proven using the fact that the norm takes non-negative integer values. The second point involves complex multiplication and the third point requires using the pigeonhole principle. A new idea is also suggested, involving the set of points that are a certain distance away from the origin.
pantboio
I have the following assignment:consider the map $$|\cdot|:\mathbb{Z}\longrightarrow \mathbb{N},\qquad |a+ib|:=a^2+b^2$$1) Prove that $|\alpha|<|\beta|$ iff $|\alpha|\leq |\beta|-1$ and $|\alpha|<1$ iff $\alpha=0$2) Let $\alpha,\beta\in\mathbb{Z},\beta\neq 0$. Prove that the map $f:\mathbb{Z}\longrightarrow\mathbb{Z}, f(\gamma):=\alpha-\gamma\beta$ is the composition of a dilatation by the factor $\sqrt{|\beta|}$, a rotation (angle?) and a translation.3) Deduce that there exists $\gamma\in\mathbb{Z}$ such that $|f(\gamma)|$ is strictly smaller than $|\beta|$.$\textbf{Hint:}$ compare the size of a cell of the lattice $f(\mathbb{Z})$ and the size of the set of points whose distance to $0$ is $\leq\sqrt{|\beta|}$.What i did: point 1) is a trivial consequence of the fact that the norm takes integer non negative values. For point 2), I use complex multiplication of numbers which is: multiply absolute values and add angles. For point 3), I'm actually waiting for a miracle... I suppose i should prove that there exists a cell in $f(\mathbb{Z})$ intersecting the open ball centered at the origin with radius $\sqrt{|\beta|}$, but i have no idea how to write down this. Only thing i noticed is that $f$ acts with a rotation, which does not affect distance from the origin, so that the only changes in $|\gamma|$ come from dilatation and by adding $\alpha$.Could someone put me on the right direction? Thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
HINT:

The pigeonhole principle. Possibly. Still thinking.

New idea: consider the set of points $\gamma \in \mathbb{Z}i$ such that $|\beta|\cdot|\gamma|<|\alpha|$. This set does not change under rotation, under dilation it becomes a subset of the points $x \in \mathbb{Z}i$ such that $|x|<|\alpha|$. What does that mean for the resulting translation?

Related to Finding Cells in Lattices: Exploring Complex Plane Structures

1. What is a lattice in the complex plane?

A lattice in the complex plane is a set of points that form a repeating pattern in two dimensions. These points are typically represented as complex numbers and can be described as translations of two basis vectors. The lattice is infinite and covers the entire complex plane.

2. How are lattices in the complex plane used in mathematics?

Lattices in the complex plane are used in various branches of mathematics, including number theory, algebraic geometry, and complex analysis. They provide a geometric representation for abstract algebraic structures and are useful in understanding the behavior of functions and equations in the complex plane.

3. Can lattices in the complex plane be visualized?

Yes, lattices in the complex plane can be visualized and represented graphically. They are often depicted as a grid of points with regularly spaced dots or lines connecting them. This representation helps to visualize the repeating patterns and symmetries of the lattice.

4. What is the significance of the basis vectors in a lattice in the complex plane?

The basis vectors in a lattice in the complex plane determine the shape and orientation of the lattice. They are used to generate all other points in the lattice through translations and can be used to calculate important properties of the lattice, such as its volume and density.

5. Are there any real-world applications of lattices in the complex plane?

Yes, lattices in the complex plane have various practical applications in fields such as coding theory, cryptography, and signal processing. They are used to encode and decode information, generate complex signals, and secure communication systems. Lattices in the complex plane also have applications in materials science and crystallography.