1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding centroid of a solid

1. Jul 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use cylindrical coordinates to find the centroid of the solid.

The solid that is bounded above by the sphere x2 + y2 + z2 = 2

and below by z = x2 + y2

2. Relevant equations

x = rcos(theta)

y= rsin(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution

I am having trouble trying to find the limits of integration for r.

I have been able to get the sphere in terms of r as z = (2-r2)1/2 and the paraboloid as z = r2

I understand that in cylindrical coordinates the region is occupied from 0<theta<2pi and r originates from origin n to the uppermost part of the sphere.

I also found that when you equate both surface z equations. you get r2 = (2-r2)1/2 . Solving for r you get radical 2 and 1. r being the furthest distance would then have the upper limit of 1. I'm not sure if this is the correct method of solving.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

First off, ## \sqrt 2>1## and ##\sqrt 2## doesn't seem to solve your equation.

Go with z=1 for the intersection point, so z is defined by the sphere above 1<z <2 and as the paraboloid for 0<z <1.

4. Jul 22, 2015 #3

RUber

Homework Helper

See the attached image, this is the shape you are dealing with (revolved around the z axis to form a volume). Clearly, your centroid will be at x=0, y=0. How will you find the centroid in the z direction?
    PF_1.jpg

5. Jul 22, 2015 #4
    So what I did was found out the value of z at the intersection point by equating both surfaces in terms of r, which led z to be either -2 or 1. When inputting z =1 i get r to also be 1

The centroid in the z direction will thus be 02pi 01 r2√(2-r2) z ⋅ r dz dr dθ all divided by the volume of the region

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  6. Jul 22, 2015 #5

RUber

Homework Helper

Do you mean you solved ##r^2 = (2-r^2)^{1/2}## as a quadratic to find ## r^2 = 1 \text{ or } -2 ## and then discarded the imaginary solution?
    Any troubles with these integrals?

7. Jul 22, 2015 #6
    Yes I discarded the imaginary solution, I have no problem solving the integrals. I only had trouble identifying the upper limit of r. Would you say that the way I solved for r was a correct solution?

8. Jul 22, 2015 #7

RUber

Homework Helper

That is the correct way to do it.
    What you did wrong on your original work posted in the image was to go from
    ## r^4 + r^2 =2 ## to r =1 or r = sqrt(2); you should have gotten r =1 or r = sqrt(-2).

9. Jul 22, 2015 #8
    Ah I overlooked the proper solution for r. Thanks for taking the time to help me out!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted