Find Centroid: x(bar), y(bar) = (?, ?)

• Thread starter physics=world
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centroid
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the centroid of a region determined by three inequalities. The person has solved the problem but does not have the answer because it is an even-numbered problem and the book only provides answers for odd-numbered problems. They are seeking the answer in order to check their work.
physics=world
1. Find the centroid of the region determined by the graphs of the inequalities.

y ≤ (1/3)x^(2) ; (x-3)^2 + y^(2) ≤ 9 ; y ≥ 0

x(bar) , y(bar) = (?, ?)

I did the problem, but i do not know the answer because the problem is an even number and the book only have answers for the odd problem. I would like to know the answer to this problem. I do not need to know how to do it. I just need to know the answer so I can check my work.

2. What I did was find moment using the equations. then i use the formulas for planar mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you show your work, you can ask someone to check it.

Related to Find Centroid: x(bar), y(bar) = (?, ?)

What is a centroid and why is it important?

A centroid is the average location of all the points in a shape or object. It is important because it can help determine the "center of mass" or balancing point of an object, which can be useful in engineering and physics applications.

How do you find the centroid of a shape?

To find the centroid of a shape, you must first find the x and y coordinates of each point in the shape. Then, you can use the formula x(bar) = (x1 + x2 + ... + xn) / n and y(bar) = (y1 + y2 + ... + yn) / n, where n is the total number of points. This will give you the x and y coordinates of the centroid.

What types of shapes have a centroid?

All 2-dimensional shapes have a centroid, including circles, triangles, rectangles, and irregular shapes. However, some shapes, such as circles and regular polygons, have a simpler formula for finding the centroid than others.

Can the centroid be outside of the shape?

Yes, it is possible for the centroid to be outside of the shape. This usually occurs in irregular shapes or shapes with holes. In these cases, the centroid can be located in a region of negative space outside of the shape.

What are some real-world applications of finding the centroid?

Finding the centroid can be useful in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It can help determine the center of gravity of an object, which is important for stability and balance. It can also be used in designing structures, such as bridges and buildings, to ensure that weight is evenly distributed. Additionally, the centroid is used in calculating moments of inertia, which is important in mechanics and dynamics.