1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding convergence of a recursive sequence

1. Oct 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]x_{n+1} = (x_{n} + 2)/(x_{n}+3), x_{0}= 3/4[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've worked out a few of the numbers and got 3/4, 11/15, 41/56, 153/209, ...
    It seems to be monotone and bounded below indicating it does converge I think. I need help figuring out what it converges to if it does. I've never really done convergence on a recursive sequence.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Once you know it converges, it is easy to find the limit. Suppose ##x_n\to a## and take the limit of both sides of the recursion to figure out ##a##. Note this argument does not show it converges, only that if it does, the limit is ##a##. You still have to show it is monotone and bounded (if it is).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  4. Oct 23, 2012 #3
    what is the first thing you think of when you see "n+1"?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  5. Oct 23, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the sequence converges, to x, say, then, taking the limit on both sides, we must have
    [tex]x= \frac{x+ 2}{x+ 3}[/tex]
    Solve that for x.

Of course, it is not enough to say "It seems to be monotone and bounded below", you must show that it is monotone, you have to show it is.

6. Oct 23, 2012 #5
    Attached.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      19.3 KB
      Views:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook