Finding Critical Points of a Quartic Function: A Scientific Approach

• I
  • Thread starter 1plus1is10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the conversation was about finding the formula for the critical points of a Quartic function. The wikipedia page on Quartic functions states that the derivative of a Quartic function is a cubic function. The conversation then mentions finding the derivative on a specific website, but the person is not able to solve it due to their limited math abilities. They are looking for a simpler formula that can be converted into computer code. However, it is stated that without specific numbers, the formula quoted is the only option. The conversation ends with the person deciding to graph their Quartic functions and search for highs and lows instead.
1plus1is10
I need this solved for x:
y' = 4ax^3 + 3bx^2 + 2cx + d = 0

This is to say, I need the formula for the "critical points" of a Quartic function.
Wikipedia says: "The derivative of a quartic function is a cubic function."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartic_function

And I found the above derivative here:
http://jwilson.coe.uga.edu/EMT668/EMAT6680.F99/Glazer/essays/HTML/quartinfsola.html

Any help solving it would be great (it is beyond my ability).
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No kidding. Tricky is definitely the word for it.

I've previously read and re-read that whole page already, and unfortunately, I'm clueless with any high-level math. So it would be impossible for me to use the general cubic equation as an example for me to do the same math tricks to the above cubic.

I typically Google until I find what I need. Meaning, I need a website to say "this is the formula for XYZ" (and the formula need to be in a form that does not have many Greek letters). Otherwise, I keep searching. It all comes down to: Can I convert it to computer code?

Therefore, any spoon-feeding would be greatly appreciated.

If you have no numbers for ##a,b,c,d## then you're stuck with the giant formula I quoted. There is no easy way in this generality.

Looking closer at it. That's just crazy.
How can a simple derivative explode into something that big?

I'm just going to "graph" my Quartic's into a data set and then search for highs and lows instead.

Sorry to waste your time.
Thanks anyway.

What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression that consists of variables and coefficients, combined using the operations of addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It is also known as an algebraic expression.

How do you solve a polynomial?

To solve a polynomial, you must find the values of the variables that make the expression equal to a specific number. This can be done by using algebraic techniques such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or long division.

What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent of its variables. For example, in the polynomial 3x^2 + 5x + 2, the degree is 2 because that is the highest exponent of x.

What is a root of a polynomial?

A root of a polynomial is a value of the variable that makes the polynomial equal to zero. It is also known as a solution or a zero of the polynomial.

What are the different types of polynomials?

The different types of polynomials include monomials (one term), binomials (two terms), trinomials (three terms), and higher degree polynomials (four or more terms). They can also be classified by their degree, such as linear (degree 1), quadratic (degree 2), and cubic (degree 3) polynomials.