1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding distance traveled by rebound when measured for surface

1. May 16, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ball falling from 1m above a slanted surface 5 degrees from horizontal. KE conserved
    Find distance travelled along slanted surface on its second rebound

2. Relevant equations
    S=(1/2)(at^2)
    (V^2)=(u^2)-2as

3. The attempt at a solution
    V before hitting =sqrt(2*9.81)
    =4.42
    4.42/9.81=0.4515
    0.4515*2=0.9030
    0.9030*4.42*cos(85 degrees)
    =0.0355
    0.0355/cos(85)=3.98

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Itilrandir, :welcome:

I can follow you up to ##v=4.42## m/s (always include units). Could you explain what you are doing after that ? And make a sketch of the situation and post it ?

I do notice there is no question in your post ?

(all in the spirit of PF culture, you mostly don't get a yes/no answer and we don't do the exercise for you. But we help where we can !)

4. May 16, 2017 #3
    Sorry for not being very clear with myself.
    The question basically asks for us to find distance between the first and second impact on a infinitely long slanted surface tilted at 5 degrees.
    Pic attached is what I attempted to do and get the final ans of around 4(3.98)

Attached Files:

5. May 16, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I do understand the question.

Let me guess (this is NOT PF culture -- instead, you should explain, as I asked :rolleyes: ) :
    You use ##v = v_0 - gt = 0 \Rightarrow t = {v_0\over g} ## to find the time to reach the highest point after the bounce, 0.903 m.

However, ##\vec v_0## is not in the same direction as ##g## is acting, so you lose me at that point.
    Furthermore, I also don't understand (understatement) the 85 degrees in the next line...

In your sketch I see 1 m above the surface as a constant -- which it may well be. Can you prove that it is a constant ?

6. May 16, 2017 #5
    It was just a random guess/ attempt at solving it cos the question was timed when i was doing it.:sorry: I was hoping that someone has a better explaination for the question.

7. May 16, 2017 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

After the first bounce, ##v=v_0=4.42## m/s, I agree.
    Can only be if it is at 10##^\circ## wrt the vertical (##E=\vec p^2/(2m)## is conserved).

So you have ##v_x = v_0\cos(80^\circ),\ v_y = v_0\sin(80^\circ),\ ## for a parabolic trajectory.
    That intersects the surface ##y = y_0 - x\sin 5^\circ## at the second bounce point.
    Set up the equations and solve the quadratic equation.

8. May 16, 2017 #7
    Do you have the correct answer? I want to double check after doing it. No time right now.

9. May 16, 2017 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

sin 5°?

10. May 17, 2017 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

PF culture is YOU do the work, WE try to help :smile: . If that necessitates working it all out, then I am always willing to do the work. Not in this case.

11. May 17, 2017 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was querying the trig function, not the angle.

12. May 17, 2017 #11

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

With good reason o:) . Should have been ##\tan## ! Thanks!
    upload_2017-5-17_11-24-21.png
    Now we both wait for Itil to have some time to work it out ....

13. May 18, 2017 #12
    I got the answer its apparent 0.68something meters

14. May 18, 2017 #13

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Show please, how did you get that result.

15. May 18, 2017 #14
    Sorry I was busy.
    The method to solve it is to resolve the components of gravity and velocity and turn it into a projectile motion

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted