Find Eigenvalues: Physics Forums Homework Help

In summary, A thread was originally posted in the QM forum but was moved to the homework section. The OP gave up on the problem, but the poster is still curious and looking for help. The problem is difficult due to the projection operator and potential. Some people have responded, but there is a need for someone knowledgeable in QM to work through it. The poster apologizes for any errors and is taking a break from posting.
HackaB
This thread, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=74810, was orignally posted here in the QM forum, but it was moved to the homework section, which is reasonable. But nobody there knows quantum mechanics. I guess the OP gave up on it, but I'm curious how to do the problem now. So if somebody could take a look at it that would be cool. I guess you should reply in the homework section and not to this post directly.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
HackaB said:
This thread, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=74810, was orignally posted here in the QM forum, but it was moved to the homework section, which is reasonable. But nobody there knows quantum mechanics.

What do you mean that nobody there knows quantum mechanics?

There were several responses, and from what I've seen, I certainly cannot say that those responders did not know QM.

The problem isn't easy due to the projection operator as its potential. You need someone willing to grind it out to work through this. It has nothing to do with people not knowing QM. Almost everyone who reads this section also read the Homework section.

Zz.

I'm giving my best shot.So far,i think that the potential doesn't have physical states.

Daniel.

EDIT:I'll take a break.Apparently,there's something wrong with the LaTex.I'll resume posting later on.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
What do you mean that nobody there knows quantum mechanics?

There were several responses, and from what I've seen, I certainly cannot say that those responders did not know QM.

The problem isn't easy due to the projection operator as its potential. You need someone willing to grind it out to work through this. It has nothing to do with people not knowing QM. Almost everyone who reads this section also read the Homework section.

Zz.

My mistake. Thanks everyone :)

What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a scalar value that represents the magnitude of a specific property of a mathematical object, such as a matrix or operator. In physics, eigenvalues are often used to describe the energy levels of quantum systems.

Why is it important to find eigenvalues?

Finding eigenvalues allows us to understand the properties and behavior of a mathematical object. In physics, eigenvalues are particularly important because they can help us solve problems related to quantum mechanics and understand the behavior of complex systems.

How do you find eigenvalues?

The process of finding eigenvalues involves solving a special type of equation known as the characteristic equation. This equation is obtained by setting the determinant of the matrix or operator equal to zero. Once the characteristic equation is solved, the solutions are the eigenvalues.

What is the relationship between eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are closely related. Eigenvectors are the corresponding vectors that represent the direction of the special property associated with the eigenvalue. In physics, eigenvectors are often used to describe the states of a quantum system.

Can eigenvalues be complex numbers?

Yes, eigenvalues can be complex numbers. In quantum mechanics, complex eigenvalues often arise when describing systems with time-dependent behavior. They can also be used to describe systems with periodic behavior, such as a quantum oscillator.