Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding eigenvalues

1. May 10, 2005 #1
    This thread, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=74810, was orignally posted here in the QM forum, but it was moved to the homework section, which is reasonable. But nobody there knows quantum mechanics. I guess the OP gave up on it, but I'm curious how to do the problem now. So if somebody could take a look at it that would be cool. I guess you should reply in the homework section and not to this post directly.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What do you mean that nobody there knows quantum mechanics?

There were several responses, and from what I've seen, I certainly cannot say that those responders did not know QM.

The problem isn't easy due to the projection operator as its potential. You need someone willing to grind it out to work through this. It has nothing to do with people not knowing QM. Almost everyone who reads this section also read the Homework section.

4. May 11, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm giving my best shot.So far,i think that the potential doesn't have physical states.

EDIT:I'll take a break.Apparently,there's something wrong with the LaTex.I'll resume posting later on.
    Last edited: May 11, 2005
  5. May 11, 2005 #4
    My mistake. Thanks everyone :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?