Finding electric field intensity

In summary: In order do what the solution says, the vectors E' and E1 have to be exactly opposite. You are right.:smile:since cosθ comes -0.94≈-1 , it is approximately same as subtracting E1 from E' ...In summary, the electric field intensity at point B due to three charges is found to be 40.248 N/C.
Prathamesh
3 point charges q1 q2 & q3 are placed in vacuum as shown.
Find electric field intensity at B,if q1=2C,q2=-4C & q3=-2C
queimg.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
First find the electric field intensity at the point due individual charges, then find the resultant.

Note:
Electric field intensity due to a charge q at a distance r in the direction of r is given by
E=(1/4πε0)(q/r3)r
ε0=8.854×10-12 Farads/m

Likes Prathamesh
I have tried it up to this...
Is it right ?
If yes , what to do next and how?
Plz help

Attachments

• Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 410
phoenix95 said:
First find the electric field intensity at the point due individual charges, then find the resultant.

Note:
Electric field intensity due to a charge q at a distance r in the direction of r is given by
E=(1/4πε0)(q/r3)r
ε0=8.854×10-12 Farads/m
Thank you!
But while finding resultant vector , can I first find resultant of intensity (E') due to q2 & q3 and then simply subtract intensity due to q1 (E1) from E'(though E' is not exactly opposite to E1)?

Hey, are you sure the units of charge are in C, not nC or anything?
If it is C, then the Es you calculated are wrong... You have write it in terms powers of ten, otherwise use the correct units. (Keep in mind the electrostatic force due to one coulomb of charge is extremely large:smile:)

Prathamesh said:
But while finding resultant vector , can I first find resultant of intensity (E') due to q2 & q3 and then simply subtract intensity due to q1 (E1) from E'(though E' is not exactly opposite to E1)?
Keeping in mind the directions of Es, that is a correct way to do it...:smile:

Likes Prathamesh
phoenix95 said:
Hey, are you sure the units of charge are in C, not nC or anything?
If it is C, then the Es you calculated are wrong... You have write it in terms powers of ten, otherwise use the correct units. (Keep in mind the electrostatic force due to one coulomb of charge is extremely large:smile:)Keeping in mind the directions of Es, that is a correct way to do it...:smile:

Yeah... sorry , Charges are in nC.

so , finding resultant is like this? In solutions it is given that even there is angle θ(θ≠180) between 2 vectors , simply subtract them...
I didnt understand that...

Attachments

• Snapshot1.jpg
    Snapshot1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 370
Prathamesh said:
so , finding resultant is like this?
Yes.

Prathamesh said:
In solutions it is given that even there is angle θ(θ≠180) between 2 vectors , simply subtract them...
I didnt understand that...
First see if you get the correct resultant :smile:. I didn't catch the 'angle' thing... If you get correct answer then will you please post what exactly the solution says? I'll try my best to explain...

Likes Prathamesh
phoenix95 said:
Yes.First see if you get the correct resultant :smile:. I didn't catch the 'angle' thing... If you get correct answer then will you please post what exactly the solution says? I'll try my best to explain...

Solution says after finding E' (which comes 18*√5=40.248N/C) to get final result subtract E1 (9N/C) from it. Thus final result becomes 31.248 N/C.
But I think,to get final result vector sum of E' and E1 should be done which gives final result =√1620+81+2*18√5*9*cosθ=√ 1701+362.232cosθ

Likes phoenix95
Prathamesh said:
Solution says after finding E' (which comes 18*√5=40.248N/C) to get final result subtract E1 (9N/C) from it. Thus final result becomes 31.248 N/C.
But I think,to get final result vector sum of E' and E1 should be done which gives final result =√1620+81+2*18√5*9*cosθ=√ 1701+362.232cosθ
Correct. :smile: In order do what the solution says, the vectors E' and E1 have to be exactly opposite. You are right.:smile:

since cosθ comes -0.94≈-1 , it is approximately same as subtracting E1 from E' ...
Thank you...

1. What is electric field intensity?

Electric field intensity is a measure of the strength of an electric field at a given point. It is defined as the force per unit charge experienced by a small test charge placed at that point.

2. How do you find the electric field intensity?

The electric field intensity can be found by using the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field intensity, F is the force exerted on the test charge, and q is the magnitude of the test charge. It can also be found by taking the derivative of the electric potential with respect to distance.

3. What is the unit of electric field intensity?

The unit of electric field intensity is newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system. In the CGS system, it is expressed as dynes per statcoulomb (dyn/cm2).

4. How does distance affect electric field intensity?

The electric field intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source charge. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field intensity decreases.

5. Can the direction of electric field intensity be changed?

Yes, the direction of electric field intensity can be changed by changing the position and orientation of the source charges. It can also be changed by changing the sign of the source charge, as opposite charges produce electric fields in opposite directions.