1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding equation for regression curve

1. Jan 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to know how to find equation for the interpolated function of any degree. On Mathematica, for example.

3. The attempt at a solution

Unfortunately, on Excel, the plots are deceiving because the points on the plot are actually out of range.

For example, this equation: - 0.037*Math.pow(i,5) + 0.857*Math.pow(i,4) - 8.406*Math.pow(i,3) + 32.33*Math.pow(i,2) - 46.68*i + 260.2

is displayed to be in the range of 0 and 255 between values 1 and 21 for i.

however, when plugging in numbers, values are clearly not in the range. you get a negative number for i =18.

So therefore, is there a more accurate way of finding regression curves for data AND the equation for the curve?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2009 #2
    Are you trying to fit a polynomial to your data, or can you fit other equations?

How many data points do you have?

4. Jan 25, 2009 #3
    use some software as Mathlab or Mathcad, find the algorythm for 'Polynomial Approxiamtion' and you will obtain approximating polynomial for given data (x and y values)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?