Simple Pendelum - Help with Quadratic Regression on Excel?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a simple pendulum to determine the value of g. The speaker has created a scatter plot with the x-axis as length and the y-axis as period, with 3 different series for different lengths. The trend line for one series is a quadratic equation, leading to two questions: if there is a way to make the trend line the line of best fit for all series, and if there is a way to make the quadratic regression only in terms of ax^2. The equation for a small angle approximation is also mentioned, and the speaker notes that the regression gives an incorrect value of g. They suggest trying different methods, such as taking the mean or using an XY plot, to get a more accurate result
kmr159
I am trying to determine the value of g based on a simple pendulum.
I have graphed a scatter plot with the x-axis as L and the y-axis as P. I have 3 different series for different lengths of pendulum. When I try to find a line of best fit I get something like cx^2 + dx + e and this trend line is only for one series.

2 Parts - Is there any way to get the trend line to be the line of best fit for all my different series (different lengths)
- Is there any way to make my quadratic regression approximate only in terms of ax^2.

The equation, for a small angle approximation works out to L=(G/((2pi)^2)) P^2. Where L is the length of the Pendulum in meters, G is Gravity and P is the period of the pendulum.

3. excel graph - the regression gives a wildly incorrect value of G. Attempt: Determined the formula and how to get the solution

Physics news on Phys.org
One series consists of a set of measurements of the period, all with the same length? If so, why would you fit a quadratic to that? Why isn't it just a matter of taking the mean? Or, throw all the data into one chart, using an XY plot?

Related to Simple Pendelum - Help with Quadratic Regression on Excel?

1. What is a simple pendulum and how does it work?

A simple pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that is able to swing back and forth freely. It works by converting potential energy into kinetic energy as it swings.

2. How can I calculate the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

3. What is quadratic regression and why is it useful in analyzing simple pendulum data?

Quadratic regression is a statistical method used to find the best-fit curve for a set of data that follows a quadratic pattern. It is useful in analyzing simple pendulum data because it allows us to model the relationship between the length of the pendulum and its period, and make predictions about the period for different lengths.

4. How can I perform quadratic regression on Excel?

To perform quadratic regression on Excel, you can use the built-in function LINEST. This function allows you to find the coefficients for the quadratic equation that best fits your data set. Simply select your data, go to the Insert tab, click on the "Recommended Charts" button, and choose "Scatter with Smooth Lines" to see the regression line on your graph.

5. What are some possible sources of error when using quadratic regression to analyze simple pendulum data?

Some possible sources of error when using quadratic regression to analyze simple pendulum data include measurement errors in the length and period of the pendulum, as well as external factors such as air resistance, which can affect the accuracy of the data. It is important to take multiple measurements and perform the regression on a larger data set to reduce these errors.