1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Pendelum - Help with Quadratic Regression on Excel?

1. Apr 7, 2013 #1
    I am trying to determine the value of g based on a simple pendulum.
    I have graphed a scatter plot with the x axis as L and the y axis as P. I have 3 different series for different lengths of pendulum. When I try to find a line of best fit I get something like cx^2 + dx + e and this trend line is only for one series.

2 Parts - Is there any way to get the trend line to be the line of best fit for all my different series (different lengths)
    - Is there any way to make my quadratic regression approximate only in terms of ax^2.

The equation, for a small angle approximation works out to L=(G/((2pi)^2)) P^2. Where L is the length of the Pendulum in meters, G is Gravity and P is the period of the pendulum.

3. excel graph - the regression gives a wildly incorrect value of G. Attempt: Determined the formula and how to get the solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

One series consists of a set of measurements of the period, all with the same length? If so, why would you fit a quadratic to that? Why isn't it just a matter of taking the mean? Or, throw all the data into one chart, using an XY plot?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted