Finding Exponential Fourier Series for a Periodic Signal

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 14K views
VinnyCee
Messages
486
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



For the periodic signal

[tex]x(t)\,=\,2\,+\,\frac{1}{2}\,cos\left(t\,+\,45^{\circ}\right)\,+\,2\,cos\left(3\,t\right)\,-\,2\,sin\left(4\,t\,+\,30^{\circ}\right)[/tex]

Find the exponential Fourier series.

Homework Equations



Euler’s Formula
[tex]x(t)\,=\,A\,cos\left(\omega_0\,t\,+\,\phi\right)\,=\,A\,\left[e^{j\,\left(\omega_0\,t\,+\,\phi\right)}\,+\, e^{-j\,\left(\omega_0\,t\,+\,\phi\right)}\right][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



To get [itex]\omega_0[/itex], we need to find the least common denominator between the following periods…

[tex]\frac{2\,\pi}{3},\,2\,\pi,\,\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

Which is [itex]2\,\pi[/itex].So, now I use the formula [itex]\omega_0\,=\,\frac{2\,\pi}{T}[/itex]…

[tex]\omega_0\,=\,\frac{2\,\pi}{2\,\pi}\,=\,1[/tex]Now, I use Euler’s formula to convert the cos and sin to exponentials…

[tex]x(t)\,=\,2\,+\,\frac{1}{2}\,\left[e^{j\left(t\,+\,45^{\circ}\right)}\,+\,e^{-j\left(t\,+\,45^{\circ}\right)\right]\,+\,2\,\left[e^{j\left(3\,t\right)}\,+\,e^{-j\left(3\,t\right)}\right]\,-\,2\left[e^{j\left(4\,t\,-\,60^{\circ}\right)}\,+\,e^{-j\left(4\,t\,-\,60^{\circ}\right)}\right][/tex]

I don’t know if the last term (sin) is supposed to be kept as [tex]4\,t\,+\,30^{\circ}[/tex]

OR changed to a cosine to fit Euler’s formula by subtracting ninety degrees: [tex]4\,t\,-\,60^{\circ}[/tex]I assumed the latter, is that correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
VinnyCee said:
To get [itex]\omega_0[/itex], we need to find the least common denominator between the following periods…

[tex]\frac{2\,\pi}{3},\,2\,\pi,\,\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

Which is [itex]2\,\pi[/itex].

So, now I use the formula [itex]\omega_0\,=\,\frac{2\,\pi}{T}[/itex]…

[tex]\omega_0\,=\,\frac{2\,\pi}{2\,\pi}\,=\,1[/tex]
I think you meant "least common multiple."

Anyway, your approach seems unnecessarily complicated. Other than the constant term, the Fourier series has terms of the form ##\cos n\omega_0 t## and ##\sin n\omega_0 t##. You can see, by inspection, that ##\omega_0=1~\rm rad/s## for the signal you were given.

VinnyCee said:
Now, I use Euler’s formula to convert the cos and sin to exponentials…
[tex]x(t)=2+\frac 12 \left[e^{j(t+45^\circ)}+e^{-j(t+45^\circ)}\right]+2\left[e^{j(3t)}+e^{-j(3t)}\right]-2\left[e^{j(4t-60^\circ)}+e^{-j(4t-60^\circ)}\right][/tex]I don’t know if the last term (sin) is supposed to be kept as ##4t+30^\circ## OR changed to a cosine to fit Euler’s formula by subtracting ninety degrees: ##4t-60^\circ##. I assumed the latter. Is that correct?
Yes, that's correct.

Alternatively, you could use the expression for sine in terms of complex exponentials:
$$\sin \theta = \frac{e^{j\theta}-e^{-j\theta}}{2j}.$$