Finding flow lines (vector calc problem)

• Thread starter jaejoon89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow Lines
In summary: Thanks again for the help!In summary, Jaejoon89 attempted to solve the homework statement using parametric equations but ran into difficulty. He eventually found a solution by eliminating y.
jaejoon89

Homework Statement

F = (x^2 / y) i + y j + k

a) Use parametric equations to determine the equation for the flow line for the function F which passes thru the point (1,1,0)
b) Show that the flow line also passes thru the point (e,e,1)

Homework Equations

F = F1 i + F2 j + F3 k
dx/F1 = dy/F2 = dz/F3

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't think parametric equations were actually needed here, but I think we're supposed to use them...

Somebody told me
x'[t] = x[t]2/y[t], y'[t] = y[t], z'[t] = 1 with the initial conditons that x[0] = 1, y[0] = 1, and z[0] = 0.
The solution is: x[t] = et, y[t] = et, z[t] = t
Setting t = 1 proves part b of the problem.

But I get
dx/(x^2 / y) = dt
dy/y = dt
dz = dt

Thus,
-y/x = t + c1 => x = -y / (t + c1)
ln|y| = t + c2 => y = c3e^t
z = t + c4

where c1, c2, c3, c4 are constants
What am I doing wrong? Also, why is t = 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
jaejoon89 said:
F = (x^2 / y) i + y j + k

a) Use parametric equations to determine the equation for the flow line for the function F which passes thru the point (1,1,0)
b) Show that the flow line also passes thru the point (e,e,1)

I get
dx/(x^2 / y) = dt
dy/y = dt
dz = dt

Thus,
-y/x = t + c1 => x = -y / (t + c1)
… What am I doing wrong? Also, why is t = 0?

Hi ! :smile:

You can't integrate dx/(x^2 / y) = dt to get -y/x = t + c1 …

you have to eliminate y first, by expressing it as a function of t (or of x, I suppose).

And you're given (1,1,0), so if you're using t = z as a parameter, then obviously (1,1,0) corresponds to t = 0 :smile:

Thanks but I'm still not getting x = e^t, y = e^t. How do you eliminate y?

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:
Hi ! :smile:

You can't integrate dx/(x^2 / y) = dt to get -y/x = t + c1 …

you have to eliminate y first, by expressing it as a function of t (or of x, I suppose).

And you're given (1,1,0), so if you're using t = z as a parameter, then obviously (1,1,0) corresponds to t = 0 :smile:

You can't just take the antiderivative of x and treat y as a constant? (Thus getting -y/x)? When I try eliminating y I get

dx / (x^2 / y) = dy/y
y*dx/x^2 = dy/y
dx/x^2 = dy/y^2
-1/x = -1/y => x = (1/y + c5)^-1

If y = c3e^t as calculated earlier,
x = [(1/c3e^t)+c5]^-1 = c6e^t
Is it ok to eliminate y in this manner (sort of after the fact since I still take dx/(x^2/y)? How else would you do it?

Last edited:
Hi jaejoon89! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
jaejoon89 said:
You can't just take the antiderivative of x and treat y as a constant?
(Thus getting -y/x)?

No! :rofl:
When I try eliminating y I get
dx / (x^2 / y) = dy/y
y*dx/x^2 = dy/y
dx/x^2 = dy/y^2
-1/x = -1/y => x = (1/y + c5)^-1

If y = c3e^t as calculated earlier,
x = [(1/c3e^t)+c5]^-1 = c6e^t
Is it ok to eliminate y in this manner (sort of after the fact since I still take dx/(x^2/y)? How else would you do it?

yes, that's fine, except it would have been a lot simpler to leave dt as it was, and just substitute y = c3et, so as to give:
dx /x2 = c3e-t dt :wink:

What is the purpose of finding flow lines in vector calculus?

The purpose of finding flow lines in vector calculus is to determine the path or trajectory of a fluid or vector field. This can help in understanding the behavior and movement of a fluid or vector in a given space.

What are the steps involved in solving a flow line vector calculus problem?

The first step is to define the vector field and its components. Then, using differential equations, the flow lines can be determined by solving for the equations of motion. This involves finding the tangent vector to the flow line and integrating it to find the path. Finally, the flow lines can be plotted to visualize the vector field.

What are some real-life applications of flow line vector calculus?

Flow line vector calculus has numerous applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and meteorology. It can be used to model fluid flow in pipes, air flow around objects, and ocean currents. It can also be used to analyze the movement of particles in a magnetic field or the flow of electricity in a circuit.

What are some challenges in solving flow line vector calculus problems?

One of the main challenges is the complexity of the equations involved, which often require advanced mathematical techniques and computational methods to solve. Another challenge is the accuracy of the results, as small errors in calculations or assumptions can significantly affect the outcome.

How can flow line vector calculus be used in data analysis and visualization?

Flow line vector calculus can be used to analyze and visualize large datasets, such as weather patterns or fluid flow in a complex system. This can provide valuable insights and help in making predictions and decisions based on the data. Additionally, flow lines can be plotted on maps or graphs to better understand the patterns and relationships within the data.