Finding Fourier series coefficient a0

In summary, the person is trying to find a0, b0, a1, b1, and a3, b3 for the given signal, but is having trouble because they are not given the formulas. They find a0 using the Cn forumla, but are not sure what they are doing wrong. They figure out a0 using L'Hopitals rule. They also find the total power of the signal using the formulas.
hyperion4

Homework Statement

ne995i.jpg

We're given this 'interactive page' that gives us the values, so T=2.8066, W=0.9542 and A=8.5988 and then told to find a0, b0, a1, b1, a3, b3, Total Power and 3rd harmonic power.

Homework Equations

Cn given above and:
a0=1/T [tex]\int s(t) dt[/tex] integrating from 0 to T.

Also, c0=a0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find a way to use the Cn forumla given, since sinc(x)=sin(PIx)/PIx, where x=nfW, and you can see why I can't use it if I want to find c0. So I go to the usual formula for a0, involving the integral, i use that and end up with: a0=8.5988 which is my amplitude and the web page where we have to input our values tells me that I'm wrong. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here?

I can find a1 and a3 easily from the Cn formula (and since Cn=An/2), all the b values=0, since it's an even signal, so I'm stuck with a0?

Also how would I go about to find the total power?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I figured out a0...i just forgot that a zero in the denominator means that the value goes to infinitiy, and the sin of infinity goes to 1..

That leaves the total power then?

hyperion4 said:
Ok I figured out a0...i just forgot that a zero in the denominator means that the value goes to infinitiy, and the sin of infinity goes to 1..
That makes no sense.
That leaves the total power then?
What formulas do you have for computing the total power of a signal?

^^You're right it doesn't make sense, and it isn't right..I thought that was the limit of sin(x) as x goes to infinity but I forgot that it's actually not defined. But taking that 'reasoning' solved my problem with finding a0.

As for the power of the signal, I figured it out (well I found the formula).

If the numerator and denominator of a fraction both tend to zero, you can use L'Hopital's rule to find the limit. This is often useful for finding the a0 coefficient in Fourier series. I believe you can also use a taylor series method to find a0 also.

L'Hopitals rule is quite simple to use, so if you haven't tried it it might be worth looking it up.

What is the purpose of finding Fourier series coefficient a0?

The Fourier series coefficient a0 is used in Fourier series analysis to determine the DC or average value of a periodic function.

How is the Fourier series coefficient a0 calculated?

The Fourier series coefficient a0 is calculated by taking the average value of the function over one period, or by integrating the function over one period and dividing by the period length.

What does a non-zero value of a0 indicate?

A non-zero value of a0 indicates that the function has a DC or average component in addition to its periodic components.

Can the Fourier series coefficient a0 be negative?

Yes, the Fourier series coefficient a0 can be negative if the function has a negative average value over one period.

How is the magnitude of a0 related to the amplitude of the periodic function?

The magnitude of a0 is directly proportional to the amplitude of the periodic function. A larger value of a0 indicates a larger amplitude of the periodic function.