Calculating Fuel Consumption for a Boiler at 2.1 MN/m2 Pressure

In summary, a boiler designed to produce 6250 kg/h of superheated steam at a pressure of 2.1 MN/m2 will use 373 kg of fuel oil in one hour. The calorific value of the fuel oil used is 45000 kJ/kg, and the thermal efficiency of the boiler is 70%.
0drt9
Member warned about posting with no effort shown

Homework Statement

A boiler is to produce 6250 kg/h of steam superheated by 40 oC at a pressure of 2.1 MN/m2. The temperature of the feedwater is 50 oC. If the thermal efficiency of the boiler is 70%, how much fuel oil will be consumed in one hour? The calorific value of the fuel oil used is 45000 kJ/kg, cp of superheated steam is 2.093 kJ/kg K.
for pressure 2.1 Mn/m2
hfg = 1880 kJ/kg
hf = 920 kj/KG
sat temp - 214.9

Homework Equations

in my notes i have efficiency as [generated steam * hfg] / [fuel consumed * CV ]

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt gave me the answer of 373 which i found to be to small of a value

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your work.

gneill said:
Show your work.

i used efficiency = [generated steam * hfg] / [fuel consumed * CV ]
for efficiency i used 0.70, for generated steam 6250, hfg 1880, CV as 45000
and i found for the fuel consumed

0drt9 said:

Homework Statement

A boiler is to produce 6250 kg/h of steam superheated by 40 oC at a pressure of 2.1 MN/m2. The temperature of the feedwater is 50 oC. If the thermal efficiency of the boiler is 70%, how much fuel oil will be consumed in one hour? The calorific value of the fuel oil used is 45000 kJ/kg, cp of superheated steam is 2.093 kJ/kg K.
for pressure 2.1 Mn/m2
hfg = 1880 kJ/kg
hf = 920 kj/KG
sat temp - 214.9

Homework Equations

in my notes i have efficiency as [generated steam * hfg] / [fuel consumed * CV ]

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt gave me the answer of 373 which i found to be to small of a value
I don't know about the formula in your notes.

Remember, hfg is the difference in the amount of heat contained in saturated vapor and saturated liquid.

What about the extra amount of heat which is contained in the superheated vapor? Where does that come from?
What about the heat which is brought into the boiler from the feedwater at 50° C? How is that accounted for?

1. What is fuel consumption?

Fuel consumption refers to the amount of fuel used by a vehicle or machine to perform a specific task or travel a certain distance.

2. How is fuel consumption measured?

Fuel consumption is typically measured in units of volume, such as gallons or liters, and is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the amount of fuel used.

3. What factors can affect fuel consumption?

There are several factors that can affect fuel consumption, including vehicle or machine type, driving habits, road conditions, and weather. The weight of the vehicle or load, as well as the type and quality of fuel used, can also impact fuel consumption.

4. How can I improve fuel consumption?

There are several ways to improve fuel consumption, such as maintaining proper tire pressure, avoiding aggressive driving, using cruise control on highways, and reducing unnecessary weight in the vehicle. Choosing a more fuel-efficient vehicle or using alternative fuels can also help improve fuel consumption.

5. Why is it important to track fuel consumption?

Tracking fuel consumption can help individuals and organizations save money, reduce emissions, and make informed decisions about vehicle or machine usage. It can also help identify potential mechanical issues or maintenance needs that may be affecting fuel efficiency.