1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding height with constant acceleration

1. Oct 3, 2008 #1

!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What's the cliff's height (m) if a fallling boulder takes 1.3 s to fall the last 3rd of the way to the ground?
    Air resistance is ignored, and the problem requires a quadratic formula.

2. Relevant equations
    I think it's the constant x-acceleration formulas, which I can't type here because of the super subscripts/ subscripts.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Actually, I don't even know how to begin this or set this up. =/ How do I solve this equation and determine which one of the given answers is correct? The answers in my textbook says it's either 246 m and 2.51 m, but how do I solve to get them?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Call the cliff's height h. Let y(t) be the distance above the ground as a function of time.

[tex] y(t) = h - \frac{1}{2}gt^2 [/tex]

I'm assuming it starts from rest. Solving for t, the total time to fall is:

[tex] t = \sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}} [/tex]

1.3 s before that elapsed time, the ball has fallen 2/3 of the way:

[tex] y\left(\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}} - 1.3 s\right) = \frac{h}{3} = h - \frac{1}{2}g\left(\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}} - 1.3 s\right)^2 [/tex]

Now I think you can just solve for h. Let me see if I get one of those answers.

4. Oct 3, 2008 #3

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

edit: Yes, I do get both of those answers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?