Finding height with constant acceleration

In summary, to determine the cliff's height in this problem, we can use the quadratic formula by setting up a function for the distance above the ground as a function of time. By solving for the total time to fall and setting it equal to 1.3 seconds before that time, we can then solve for the cliff's height. The textbook's answers of 246 m and 2.51 m can be obtained through this method.
!!!

Homework Statement

What's the cliff's height (m) if a fallling boulder takes 1.3 s to fall the last 3rd of the way to the ground?
Air resistance is ignored, and the problem requires a quadratic formula.

Homework Equations

I think it's the constant x-acceleration formulas, which I can't type here because of the super subscripts/ subscripts.

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually, I don't even know how to begin this or set this up. =/ How do I solve this equation and determine which one of the given answers is correct? The answers in my textbook says it's either 246 m and 2.51 m, but how do I solve to get them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Call the cliff's height h. Let y(t) be the distance above the ground as a function of time.

[tex] y(t) = h - \frac{1}{2}gt^2 [/tex]

I'm assuming it starts from rest. Solving for t, the total time to fall is:

[tex] t = \sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}} [/tex]

1.3 s before that elapsed time, the ball has fallen 2/3 of the way:

[tex] y\left(\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}} - 1.3 s\right) = \frac{h}{3} = h - \frac{1}{2}g\left(\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}} - 1.3 s\right)^2 [/tex]

Now I think you can just solve for h. Let me see if I get one of those answers.

edit: Yes, I do get both of those answers.

1. What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity that remains the same over time. This means that the object's speed increases or decreases by the same amount in each unit of time.

2. How is constant acceleration calculated?

Constant acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

3. What is the equation for finding height with constant acceleration?

The equation for finding height with constant acceleration is h = vi*t + 1/2 * a * t^2, where h is the height, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

4. How do you determine the initial velocity in the equation for finding height with constant acceleration?

The initial velocity, vi, can be determined by using the equation vi = (h - 1/2 * a * t^2) / t, where h is the height, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

5. What is the significance of finding height with constant acceleration?

Finding height with constant acceleration is important in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering. It allows us to calculate the height an object will reach after a certain amount of time, which is crucial for understanding and predicting the motion of objects in various scenarios.