1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding ideals of a ring

1. May 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all ideals I of Z mod 18Z. Then find what (Z mod 18Z)/I is isomorphic to for every ideal I.

3. The attempt at a solution
    We know that the whole ring and {0} are ideals. since Z/18Z is not a field there are more. So are Z/nZ where n is a divisor of 18, all of them?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2009 #2
    Not quite. The correspondence theorem guarantees that there is a bijection between ideals of [tex] \mathbb{Z}/18\mathbb{Z} [/tex] and ideals of [tex] \mathbb{Z} [/tex] containing [tex] 18 \mathbb{Z} [/tex], which are of the form [tex] n \mathbb{Z} [/tex], where [tex] n \mid 18 [/tex], as you said. However, [tex] \mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z} [/tex] isn't an ideal of [tex] \mathbb{Z}/18 \mathbb{Z} [/tex]. (It will turn out that this is isomorphic to the quotient ring.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook