Finding if a point belongs to a line in space.

In summary, the conversation discussed the process of obtaining a parametrized set of equations for a line in space using a given point and vector. It was explained that any other point can be checked for its placement on the line by solving the equations for a corresponding t value. The process was demonstrated using the points (0,0) and (8,11), and the conversation ended on a positive note with a mutual appreciation for music.
smithnya
Hello everyone,

I have a simple question, but I am unsure. I know from a point p0 = (x1, y1) and a vector v = <a, b>, I can obtain a parametrized set of equations for a line in space such that x = x1 + at and y = y1 + bt. How can I check that any other point, not p0, is/isn't in that line?

Physics news on Phys.org
For example, let's say you have x=2+3t, y=3+4t

Then a number (x,y) lies on the lies if and only if there exist a t such that x=2+3t AND y=3+4t

Let's see if (0,0) is on the line. If (0,0) were on the line, then there would exist a t such that 0=2+3t AND 0=3+4t. Solving the equations gets us that t=-2/3 AND t=-3/4. This is clearly false (t can not be two values at once). Thus (0,0) is not on the line.

Take (8,11). If this were on the line, then there would exist a t such that 8=2+3t AND 11=3+4t. Solving the equations gets us t=2 AND t=2. So such a t exists (and equal 2). Thus (8,11) is on the line.

Thank you so much. That was very simple and it explained what I needed to know. Nice avatar by the way. I am listening to "The Great Gig in the Sky" as I type.

smithnya said:
Thank you so much. That was very simple and it explained what I needed to know. Nice avatar by the way. I am listening to "The Great Gig in the Sky" as I type.

You have a great taste in music! :approve:

1. What is the formula for determining if a point belongs to a line in space?

The formula for determining if a point belongs to a line in space is called the "point-slope formula." It is written as y - y1 = m(x - x1), where (x1, y1) is a point on the line and m is the slope of the line.

2. How does one apply the point-slope formula to determine if a point belongs to a line in space?

To apply the point-slope formula, plug in the coordinates of the given point for x1 and y1, and the coordinates of any other point on the line for x and y. If the resulting equation is true, then the given point belongs to the line.

3. What is the significance of the slope in the point-slope formula?

The slope in the point-slope formula represents the rate of change of the line. It tells us how much the y-coordinate changes for every one unit increase in the x-coordinate. This helps us determine the direction and steepness of the line, and ultimately, whether a point belongs to it or not.

4. Can a point belong to more than one line in space?

Yes, a point can belong to more than one line in space. This can happen when two or more lines intersect at that point, or when a line is parallel to another line. In these cases, the point would satisfy the point-slope formula for each of the lines it belongs to.

5. Are there any other methods for determining if a point belongs to a line in space?

Yes, there is another method called the "slope-intercept form." This form is written as y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept of the line. To determine if a point belongs to this line, plug in the coordinates of the point for x and y, and if the resulting equation is true, then the point belongs to the line.