1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Integral of a Divided Function (Hyperbola?)

1. Sep 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Integrate between y=0 and y=-0.5:
    ∫((y+0.5)/(0.5-y)) dy

2. Relevant equations
    Can you please show me how to integrate it...Then I will be able to take it from there and substitute in the appropriate values.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Quotient rule in reverse?...wouldn't work
    Using ln ...wouldn't work
    Try to factorise...nope
    Use rationalising of denominator (conjugate idea)...that just makes it even more complicated
    Now I have run out of ideas ...this is out of my scope. (Scholarship paper NZ)

Thank you in advance,
    Kindest Regards.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: Divide the numerator by the denominator to make the degree of the numerator one less than the degree of the denominator.

4. Sep 21, 2012 #3
    Hmmm...Thanks for the hint, but I don't get what you meant here...
    Isn't the numerator already being divided by the denominator and aren't they to the same degree anyway?

5. Sep 21, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Write it as$$
    -\frac{y + \frac 1 2}{y -\frac 1 2}$$
    and do one step of a long division writing it as quotient + remainder/divisor.

Alternatively you could write it as$$
    -\frac {(y-\frac 1 2)+1}{(y-\frac 1 2)}$$and break it into two terms. It's the same result either way.

6. Sep 21, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, they're the same degree, so use some sort of division algorithm to find a quotient & remainder.

7. Sep 21, 2012 #6
    Nice! I like the alternative (because its the only thing I understood) from LCKurtz...rationalising the denominator.
    The rest of it didn't make much sense...how can you integrate with a remainder! (I must be missing something)
    Thank you so much for all your help.

P.S.: Sorry for not being able to understand what you guys said.

Kindest Regards

8. Sep 21, 2012 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's how that remainder works:

Write the remainder of 1 as a fraction.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{y-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]

So that [itex]\displaystyle -\frac {(y+\frac 1 2)}{(y-\frac 1 2)}=-\left(1+\frac{1}{y-\frac{1}{2}}\right)[/itex]

Although expressions like the one here, I often use the same method as LCKurtz showed you. For more complicated situations, you should know how to express the remainder as a fraction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook