1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Lift Force - Glider Wing

1. Oct 29, 2009 #1
    I am working on my semester project and have come across a hitch. I am trying to find the Lift Force of my wing using the following equation

FL=CL P A (v2/2)

Where:
    FL is Lift Force
    CL is Coefficient of Lift (I think)
    P is the density of the fluid (Air)
    A is the Area
    V is Velocity

The only portion I cannot find is Velocity. I cannot, for the life of me, figured out Velocity when given force and mass.

I have a 3.33 lbf and a 27.999g aircraft.

Can someone please help me.

Equation so far:
    FL=(.76764)(.076)(56.55)(V2/2)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2009 #2
    I found the equation for Horizontal Velocity. Here it is for anyone else who might be stuck in the same place.

VH=[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2E}{m}}[/tex]

E is energy
    m is mass

In my case Energy was elasticity since my glider was flung from a rubber band. So I had to find ft-lbf, then use different conversion factors to get to a suitable velocity unit.

My work:

VH=[tex]\sqrt{\left[\frac{2(4.1625)ft-lbf}{27.999g}\right]\left[\frac{453.6g}{1 lbm}\right]\left[32.2\frac{lbm-ft}{lbf-s}\right]}[/tex]

Leaving me with Velocity in Ft/s

VH= 65.899 ft/s

Additional Information:

I was given a chart, from whence I figured that 15 in displacement gave 3.33 lbf, and converted to ft-lbf, giving me my E.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?