Line of intersection of a plane and the xz-plane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
saadatsubs
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
Given the plane: 4x - 2y +8z = 8,
Find Parametric equations of the line of intersection of the given plane and the xz-plane.

The answer for the question is: x = 2 +2t ; y = 0, z = -t

I don't understand how to get to this answer and I am going to be tested on this type of question. Can anyone help me understand this please?
Relevant Equations
x = x1 + at
y = y1 + bt
z = z1 +ct
Sorry for the really messy work I know I have a problem.

The other questions that the problem asked before the one I need help with are as follows:
Find the intercepts and sketch the plane.
Find the distance between the plane and the point (1,2,3)
Find the angle between the plane and the xz plane

Thank you for any help you can give me
 
Attachments
  • 20190622_021223.jpg
    20190622_021223.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 383
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello saadatsubs, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

saadatsubs said:
I don't understand how to get to this answer
Aren't you thinking this through too deeply ?
Is it clear that points on the intersection with the xz-plane have y = 0 ? From there $$ 4x - 2y +8z = 8 \ \& \ y = 0 \Rightarrow 4x + 8z = 8 \Rightarrow x + 2z = 2 $$ and any choice for a parameter will do. You say 'the answer', but it's just an answer out of many. Other examples: x = t, y = 0 , z = (t-2)/2, or
z = t , y = 0, x = 2 - 2t etc, etc.

Can't read your picture: stiff neck. 😉
 
A general method to find the line of intersection of two planes is:
1. The cross product of the two normals to the planes gives a direction vector for the line.
2. Find any point on both planes to use with the direction vector. You can usually set one variable = 0 and solve the remaining two equations for the other coordinates of the point.