Finding neutrino mean free path using cross section for interaction

In summary, we can use equations (1), (2), and (3) to relate the rate of reaction (w_{t}) to the mean free path (λ) and solve for the desired quantity.
PhyStan7

Homework Statement

A supernova can produce a neutron star with typical radius 10km. Assume the neutron star matter consists of iron nuclei (A=56), produced by the electron capture reaction:

[itex]e^{-}[/itex]+Co[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]Fe+[itex]\nu_{e}[/itex]

The matter density is [itex]\rho[/itex]=10[itex]^{5}[/itex] tonne mm[itex]^{-3}[/itex] and the neutrino cross section for interaction with this material is [itex]\sigma[/itex]=3[itex]\times[/itex]10[itex]^{-46}[/itex]m[itex]^{2}[/itex].

Find the neutrino mean free path

Homework Equations

w[itex]_{t}[/itex]=JσN (1)
w[itex]_{t}[/itex]=Iσρ[itex]_{T}[/itex]t[itex]\frac{N_{A}}{A}[/itex] (2)
I=JS (3)

Where w[itex]_{t}[/itex] is the rate of reaction
J is incoming flux
I is intensity of incoming beam
S is surface area of incoming beam
σ is the cross section of reaction
N[itex]_{A}[/itex] is Avogadro's number
A is number of protons in target material
ρ[itex]_{T}[/itex] is the density of the target material
t is the length the beam passes through

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so in my course on nuclear and particle physics there are often questions like this but I am not sure how to approach them.

I figured that the target is essentially the neutron star, so t=20km (length through the star). I can see that I have most of the things required in equation (2), except w[itex]_{t}[/itex] and I. I figured that as w[itex]_{t}[/itex] is the rate of reaction it is essentially the number of reactions divided by the time. As we are only concerned with the reaction of 1 neutron in the star, I thought that in this case the time would be the mean free time (i.e the time before the neutrino reacts) which would be equal to the distance travelled/c (speed of neutrino). The distance traveled in this case would be the mean free path λ. This means that we can rewrite w[itex]_{t}[/itex] as:

w[itex]_{t}[/itex]=c/λ

I come up with a problem though. As no information about the incoming beam is given (its flux J, intensity I or area S) I have no idea how the intensity I can be calculated so that (2) can be used.

I can see that, with the density and volume of the star, potentially the number of atoms in the target could be computed. However I cannot see how this would be useful to compute the quantity that I want.

The question is only 5 marks so I am guessing it is fairly simple but I can't see it. As I said, for my exam there are usually several similar questions concerning the cross section of interaction so any help would be much appreciated. The answer is λ=3km, I just want to find how it is done!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your question! To solve this problem, we can use equation (1) to find the rate of reaction (w_{t}), which is equal to the number of reactions per unit time. This can be rewritten as:

w_{t}=\frac{JσN}{S}

where J is the incoming flux, σ is the cross section of the reaction, N is the number of target particles (in this case, iron nuclei), and S is the surface area of the incoming beam. We can then use equation (3) to relate the intensity (I) of the incoming beam to the flux (J) and surface area (S):

I=JS

Substituting this into our expression for w_{t}, we get:

w_{t}=\frac{IσN}{S}

We can then use equation (2) to relate w_{t} to the mean free path (λ):

w_{t}=\frac{Iσρ_{T}t\frac{N_{A}}{A}}{λ}

Rearranging, we get:

λ=\frac{Iσρ_{T}t\frac{N_{A}}{A}}{w_{t}}

Substituting in the values given in the problem, we get:

λ=\frac{(3\times10^{-46}m^{2})(10^{5}tonne mm^{-3})(20km)(6.022\times10^{23}mol^{-1})(56)}{1/s}

Simplifying, we get:

λ=3km

Therefore, the neutrino mean free path is 3km.

What is a neutrino mean free path and why is it important to calculate it?

A neutrino mean free path is the average distance a neutrino will travel before interacting with matter. It is an important value to calculate because it helps us understand how neutrinos interact with matter and how they propagate through space.

What is the cross section for interaction and how is it related to the neutrino mean free path?

The cross section for interaction is a measure of the probability of an interaction occurring between a neutrino and matter. It is directly related to the neutrino mean free path, as a larger cross section means a higher probability of interaction and a shorter mean free path.

How is the cross section for interaction calculated?

The cross section for interaction is calculated using theoretical models and experimental data. It takes into account factors such as the energy of the neutrino, the type of matter it is interacting with, and the type of interaction (e.g. weak interaction).

What factors can affect the neutrino mean free path?

The neutrino mean free path can be affected by a variety of factors, including the energy of the neutrino, the type of matter it is traveling through, and the cross section for interaction. It can also be affected by the presence of other particles or fields in the surrounding environment.

How is the calculated neutrino mean free path used in scientific research?

The calculated neutrino mean free path is used in a variety of scientific research, including astrophysics, nuclear physics, and particle physics. It helps us understand the behavior of neutrinos and their role in the universe, as well as inform the design and operation of experiments that study neutrinos.