1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding neutrino mean free path using cross section for interaction

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A supernova can produce a neutron star with typical radius 10km. Assume the neutron star matter consists of iron nuclei (A=56), produced by the electron capture reaction:

[itex]e^{-}[/itex]+Co[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]Fe+[itex]\nu_{e}[/itex]

The matter density is [itex]\rho[/itex]=10[itex]^{5}[/itex] tonne mm[itex]^{-3}[/itex] and the neutrino cross section for interaction with this material is [itex]\sigma[/itex]=3[itex]\times[/itex]10[itex]^{-46}[/itex]m[itex]^{2}[/itex].

Find the neutrino mean free path

2. Relevant equations

w[itex]_{t}[/itex]=JσN (1)
    w[itex]_{t}[/itex]=Iσρ[itex]_{T}[/itex]t[itex]\frac{N_{A}}{A}[/itex] (2)
    I=JS (3)

Where w[itex]_{t}[/itex] is the rate of reaction
    J is incoming flux
    I is intensity of incoming beam
    S is surface area of incoming beam
    σ is the cross section of reaction
    N[itex]_{A}[/itex] is Avogadro's number
    A is number of protons in target material
    ρ[itex]_{T}[/itex] is the density of the target material
    t is the length the beam passes through

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so in my course on nuclear and particle physics there are often questions like this but I am not sure how to approach them.

I figured that the target is essentially the neutron star, so t=20km (length through the star). I can see that I have most of the things required in equation (2), except w[itex]_{t}[/itex] and I. I figured that as w[itex]_{t}[/itex] is the rate of reaction it is essentially the number of reactions divided by the time. As we are only concerned with the reaction of 1 neutron in the star, I thought that in this case the time would be the mean free time (i.e the time before the neutrino reacts) which would be equal to the distance travelled/c (speed of neutrino). The distance travelled in this case would be the mean free path λ. This means that we can rewrite w[itex]_{t}[/itex] as:

w[itex]_{t}[/itex]=c/λ

I come up with a problem though. As no information about the incoming beam is given (its flux J, intensity I or area S) I have no idea how the intensity I can be calculated so that (2) can be used.

I can see that, with the density and volume of the star, potentially the number of atoms in the target could be computed. However I cannot see how this would be useful to compute the quantity that I want.

The question is only 5 marks so I am guessing it is fairly simple but I can't see it. As I said, for my exam there are usually several similar questions concerning the cross section of interaction so any help would be much appreciated. The answer is λ=3km, I just want to find how it is done!

Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted