1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding particular solution to differential equations

1. Oct 16, 2012 #1
    There are two questions that I am trying to solve on web assignment. The goal is to find a general form of a particular solution to each ODE. The question asks me to represent all constants in the solution using "P,Q,R,S,T..etc.", in that order.

1. y'''-9y''+14y'=x2
    2. y''-9y'+14y=x2e4x

For the first one I wrote:
    yp=Px3+Qx2+Rx

Second one:
    yp=(Px2+Qx+R)e4x

Neither of the answers are correct, according to the computer. Where did I go wrong?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2012 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

The answers are not correct because you're not solving the equations correctly.... First do you understand that your equations are non-homogenous?

4. Oct 16, 2012 #3
    Yes, of course, that's why I am asked to find a particular solution. Where did I go wrong? please let me know!

5. Oct 16, 2012 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Okay, so take for example your second question. Notice that your derivatives and original function have to add up to x2e4x?

So your general solution must have the form : y = A(x2e4x) where A is some constant number.

Now take the required derivatives and see if they satisfy your equation. ( You'll get a bunch of constants which you have to add together and solve for A for the particular solution you want ).

6. Oct 16, 2012 #5
    I don't quite understand why your guess for the particular solution has the form Ax2e4x as opposed to (Ax2+Bx+C)e4x. Shouldn't you use the general form of the second degree polynomial?

7. Oct 16, 2012 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

A non-homogenous equation with constant coefficients has the general solution y = Ag(t) where A is a constant.

8. Oct 16, 2012 #7
    Then suppose for y''-9y'+14y my yp=Ax2e4x

Then

y'=2Axe4x+4Ax2e4x
    y''=2Ae4x+8Axe4x+8Axe4x+16Ax2e4x

When you plug this all back into the original equation, equate the coefficients to solve for A, it doesn't work. Need more than just one constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook