1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding point-normal equations

1. Oct 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Say that I have a problem along the lines of: Find the point-normal equation for the line L.

L=u1+k*u2, where k is ℝ.

And then I'm given u1 and u2, which both are 2×1 vectors.

Then L will also be a 2×1 vector (which consists of a11 and a21), which I guess is ok (since it gives the two coordinats in R2).

However the point-normal equation is in the form of (for some constants a and b and some points x0 and y0 on the line L):

a(x-x0)+b(y-0)=0.

So here comes my question: In the vector L: Are a11 or a21 x?

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    See above.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let ##u_1=\langle a, b\rangle## and ##u_2=\langle d_1,d_2\rangle##. Then your line is ##\langle x,y\rangle = \langle a, b\rangle + k\langle d_1,d_2\rangle##. Eliminate the ##k## between the ##x## and ##y## equations and put it in your required form. Note that ##(a,b)## is a point on the line.

4. Oct 9, 2013 #3
    Two questions:

1. (Perhaps a dumb question) Is ##\langle x,y\rangle## another way of writing a 2×1 matrix where x=a11 and y=a21? (I'm really new to linear algebra...)

2. If I'm correct about question 1, then I still don't see how I can "translate" ##\langle x,y\rangle = \langle a, b\rangle + k\langle d_1,d_2\rangle## to the form of

a(x-x0)+b(y-y0)=0

(That was what my original question was all about.)

Thanks for the help LCKurtz!

5. Oct 9, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It does't matter whether you use a 2x1 or 1x2 matrix in this problem. You have two entries either way.

Do what I suggested. Write the equations for ##x## and ##y## from the given matrix equation and eliminate the ##k## parameter. Try it.

6. Oct 9, 2013 #5
    I'm not sure what you mean with "eliminate the ##k## parameter".

But I guess this is a start?

##x=a+kd_1##

and

##y=b+kd_2##

now let me put ##x## and ##y## into the "form" of the point-normal equation. Which I will call:

##p(x-x_0)+q(y-y_0)=0##, where ##p## and ##q## are constants.

We know that ##x_0=a## and ##y_0=b## are solutions because ##k## could be ##0##.

so

##p((a+kd_1)-a)+q((b+kd_2)-b)=0##

##p(kd_1)+q(kd_2)=0##

##k(pd_1+qd_2)=0##

##pd_1+qd_2=0##

where ##(p,d)## is the normal to ##(x,y)##. But how do you get ##(p,d)##?

Does the calculations look ok LCKurtz?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  7. Oct 9, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not quite. From ##x=a+kd_1,~y=b+kd_2## you eliminate ##k##. Solve each equation for ##k## and set them equal:$$
    k = \frac {x-a}{d_1} = \frac {y-b}{d_2}$$Put that last equation in the form$$
    (?)(x-a) + (??)(y-b) = 0$$and you will have your form.

8. Oct 9, 2013 #7
    I'm a bit lost. :/ Any more tips?

9. Oct 10, 2013 #8
    I know that the ##(?)## ##(??)## are the normal to the line ##\langle x,y\rangle = \langle a, b\rangle + k\langle d_1,d_2\rangle##. However what I don't know is how you should obtain the normal for that line...

10. Oct 10, 2013 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You say you are taking linear algebra but the problems you are having are all much more basic algebra matters.

[tex]\frac{x-a}{d_1}= \frac{y- b}{d_2}[/tex]

An obvious thing to do is to multiply both sides by [itex]d_1d_2[/itex] to get rid of the fractions:
    [tex]d_2(x- a)= d_1(y- b)[/tex]
    [tex]d_2(x- a)- d_1(y- b)= 0[/tex]

11. Oct 10, 2013 #10
    I feel like such an idiot now, that was my initial thought but I dismissed it because it felt like it was too easy to be the right answer. :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted