Finding Position of Simple Harmonic Oscillator

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Andrusko
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
I have been given at t=1.00 a position and velocity. And the spring constant and mass.

I have found the maximum amplitude.

The question is, where was the block at time t=0? And apparently this can be done without solving for the phase constant and making an equation.

The question doesn't specify how the block was put into motion. So I don't think you can assume that it started at it's maximum amplitude or was subjected to a force from it's equilibrium. And that's as far as I have got in solving this problem.

Is it possible without finding phase constant? Any hints/help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The question specifies that I shouldn't do that. I think it's some kind of challenge to do it from first principles. Like making a second order differential equation.