Finding Primary and Secondary Currents?

• Thread starter khawarspirit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Currents
In summary, the speaker is seeking help on finding the secondary current in a transformer given the kVA capacity, V1/V2 step down ratio, primary and secondary copper impedance, magnetization inductance and core resistance, and load. They are unsure if this information is enough to find the secondary current and are also unsure if the voltage will drop when the load is connected. They have not been able to get help from their instructor and need this information for their upcoming exam.
khawarspirit
Hi; first of all I'd like to say I love these forums and they always help me with anything I don't understand. But I can't find an answer for the question I've got in my mind.

So if we have the transformer's kVA capacity, the V1/V2 step down ratio (and therefore the turn ratio) and all of the following:
Primary copper impedance (Rp and Xp)
Secondary copper impedance (Rs and Xs)
Magnetization inductance and core resistance (Rc and Xm)
Load (in phasor notation)

° Are they enough to find the secondary current (by diving voltage V2 by load + copper impedance)?

°We don't know if the load is the rated load or not, so I know we can't divide the capacity by voltage to get current.

°I know can find the primary current by making the equivalent circuit, but I'll need the secondary current for it won't I?

°Will the voltage (that was V2 when circuit was open) drop when we connect the load (and does the difference between Es and Vs apply here?) and if so, could someone explain?

I'm sorry if this seems like a lot of questions. I went to my instructor but he didn't help me at all :(
Thanks in anticipation! :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
No one? :( Please help me, I need this information for any transformer questions on my midterm exam...

1. What are primary and secondary currents?

Primary and secondary currents refer to the flow of electric current in a circuit. Primary current is the initial current that flows from the source, while secondary current is the current that is induced in a secondary circuit through electromagnetic induction.

2. How do you find primary and secondary currents?

To find the primary and secondary currents in a circuit, you can use Ohm's law (V=IR) and the transformer equation (Vp/Vs=Ip/Is). By knowing the voltage, resistance, and current values of the primary circuit, you can calculate the primary current. The secondary current can then be found by using the transformer equation and the known values of voltage and current in the secondary circuit.

3. What is the significance of primary and secondary currents in a transformer?

The primary and secondary currents play a crucial role in a transformer as they determine the efficiency and output of the transformer. The primary current produces a magnetic field that induces a current in the secondary circuit, allowing for power transfer between the two circuits.

4. How does the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils affect the currents?

The number of turns in the primary and secondary coils affects the currents in a transformer through the transformer equation. As the number of turns in the primary coil increases, the primary current decreases, and vice versa. Similarly, as the number of turns in the secondary coil increases, the secondary current also increases.

5. Can primary and secondary currents be different in a transformer?

Yes, the primary and secondary currents can be different in a transformer. The transformer equation states that the ratio of the primary voltage to the secondary voltage is equal to the ratio of the primary current to the secondary current. This means that the currents can be different as long as the voltage ratio is maintained.