Finding range of a projectile from a graph

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between initial velocity and the range of a projectile, with the angle of projection being kept constant. The formula for range in terms of initial velocity is mentioned and it is suggested to use a graph to show this relationship. The concept of using the slope of a graph to find the range is also briefly mentioned.
James Adfey
Hey,
I am writing a report where I am trying to investigate the effect of initial velocity on the range of a projectile. Does anyone know any graphs I could use to help me find the range?
Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
upload_2016-6-18_13-26-32.png

Range of the Projectile fired at an angle θ from the ground with an initial velocity Vi is given by

upload_2016-6-18_13-26-58.png

So Range is proportional to square of initial velocity keeping angle of projection θ as constant.

But I don't understand your question. Which graph you are talking about?

Prateek Kumar Jain said:
View attachment 102175

Range of the Projectile fired at an angle θ from the ground with an initial velocity Vi is given by

View attachment 102176

So Range is proportional to square of initial velocity keeping angle of projection θ as constant.

But I don't understand your question. Which graph you are talking about?

Apologies, so the report is being done with a sling shot, where the rubberband will be extended to different lengths, as this will affect the initial velocity. Angle is being kept constant and I am not sure which graph to use, however I am expected to manipulate a graph to show the relationship between initial velocity and range, and was wondering if it was possible to find the range through the gradient of a graph.

James Adfey said:
and was wondering if it was possible to find the range through the gradient of a graph
What do you mean of the "gradient" of the graph? Your graph must mean the range ##R## versus the initial velocity ##v,## and in this single-variable function, the gradient is just the slope.

tommyxu3 said:
What do you mean of the "gradient" of the graph? Your graph must mean the range ##R## versus the initial velocity ##v,## and in this single-variable function, the gradient is just the slope.
ok yeah I just meant the slope when I said gradient, and was wondering if there were any graphs where the slope is equal to the range, but if not I will just do a graph that shows the range vs initial velocity,
Thanks,

James Adfey said:
the slope is equal to the range
If you knew the result ##R=\frac{v^2\sin 2\theta}{g},## then you can easily get the slope ##R'(v)=\frac{2v\sin 2\theta}{g}## and can get what point meets your demand, which, however, the condition seems not meaningful... or?

ok ye
tommyxu3 said:
If you knew the result ##R=\frac{v^2\sin 2\theta}{g},## then you can easily get the slope ##R'(v)=\frac{2v\sin 2\theta}{g}## and can get what point meets your demand, which, however, the condition seems not meaningful... or?
ok yeah that makes sense, thanks

1. How do you determine the range of a projectile from a graph?

To find the range of a projectile from a graph, you must identify the point where the projectile lands on the x-axis. This point represents the distance traveled by the projectile and is the range.

2. What information do you need from the graph to calculate the range of a projectile?

To calculate the range of a projectile from a graph, you need to know the initial height and velocity of the projectile, as well as the angle at which it was launched. You also need to identify the point where the projectile lands on the x-axis.

3. Can you use any type of graph to find the range of a projectile?

Yes, you can use any type of graph as long as it shows the trajectory of the projectile. This could include a position-time graph, a velocity-time graph, or a displacement-time graph.

4. Is there a specific formula for finding the range of a projectile from a graph?

Yes, the formula for finding the range of a projectile from a graph is: Range = (initial velocity * time) * cos(angle). This formula takes into account the horizontal displacement of the projectile as well as the angle at which it was launched.

5. Can you estimate the range of a projectile from a graph without using a formula?

Yes, you can estimate the range of a projectile from a graph by measuring the distance between the point where the projectile lands on the x-axis and the point where it was launched. However, using the formula will provide a more accurate calculation.