1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding specific heat capacity of a non-monatomic (ideal gas)

1. Nov 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that 31.4 J of heat is added to an ideal gas. The gas expands at a constant
    pressure of 1.40x104 Pa while changing its volume from 3.00x104 to 8.00x104 m3.
    The gas is not monatomic, so the relation CP = 5/2R does not apply. (a) Determine the
    change in the internal energy of the gas. (b) Calculate its molar specic heat capacity
    CP .

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have completed part a) using the knowledge that it is an isobaric process, but i'm a bit unsure of my answer for b)

My text book says that for a diatomic ideal gas, Cp is given by 7/2 R, but the question only says the gas is not monatomic.

Is there a piece of info i'm missing?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2013 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

Because U is a state variable, you can define a path between the initial and final states of the gas where V is a constant. This will allow you to find cv, from which you can extract cp.

4. Nov 12, 2013 #3
    Just apply the constant pressure version of the first law: ΔU=Q-PΔV. Also, since ΔH=ΔU+Δ(PV), which for this constant pressure process becomes ΔH=ΔU+PΔV. So, for this process ΔH=Q. For an ideal gas, ΔH=CpΔT and ΔU=CvΔT. So,
    ΔH/ΔU=Cp/Cv=(Q-PΔV)/Q. You also know that Cp-Cv for an ideal gas is equal to R. This should give you enough information to determine Cp.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted