Finding speed of water flowing in a pipe with changing diameter

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
aija
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Water flows in a pipe with speed 1.5 m/s at point 1.
The diameter of the pipe at point 1 is 4cm and the diameter at point 2 is 3cm.
density of water: 998.2071 kg/m^3
What's the speed of the water at point 2?

Homework Equations


I think you need to use this. I just have no idea how to find pressures p_1 and p_2 which seems to be needed to get the solution v2 out of this:
p_1+0.5ρ(v_1)^2 = p_2+0.5ρ(v_2)^2

The Attempt at a Solution


Trying to find the pressure difference p_2 - p_1
At this point I realize it's impossible because you need to use the equation above and it's also needed to solve v_2. No idea what else I could do.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you assume conservation of matter (water will not spontaneously appear or disappear in the pipe system) and unchanging density then what can you say about the volumetric rate of flow of water past any two given points? Can you calculate the rate of flow?
 
gneill said:
If you assume conservation of matter (water will not spontaneously appear or disappear in the pipe system) and unchanging density then what can you say about the volumetric rate of flow of water past any two given points? Can you calculate the rate of flow?
Thank you I got it. So the volume flow rate vA is constant so
v_1*A_1=v_2*A_2
V_2=-(v_1*A_1)/A_2
 
Last edited:
Still getting a wrong answer. Is something wrong in my equation?

with values
A_1 = 3.5 cm
A_2 = 2.5 cm
v_1 = 2.0 m/s

i get 2.8 m/s and it's wrong.

the correct answer was 3.9 m/s. But why did I get a wrong answer?
 
Last edited:
aija said:
Still getting a wrong answer. Is something wrong in my equation?

with values
A_1 = 3.5 cm
A_2 = 2.5 cm
v_1 = 2.0 m/s

i get 2.8 m/s and it's wrong.

the correct answer was 3.9 m/s. But why did I get a wrong answer?

Those look like different values from those in your original post. Are A_1 and A_2 supposed to be cross sectional areas or diameters? (The given units suggest diameters).

If they are diameters then they lead to a result of 3.92 m/s .
 
gneill said:
Those look like different values from those in your original post. Are A_1 and A_2 supposed to be cross sectional areas or diameters? (The given units suggest diameters).

If they are diameters then they lead to a result of 3.92 m/s .
Oh thanks. I accidentally used diameters as areas...