Finding Sphere Diameter for Radiation Equilibrium?

In summary, finding the sphere diameter for radiation equilibrium involves using the Stefan-Boltzmann law to calculate the radiation emitted by a sphere and equating it to the radiation absorbed by the same sphere. This equilibrium condition can be used to determine the diameter of a sphere, which is necessary for applications such as designing heat shields for spacecraft or studying planetary atmospheres. The process involves considering factors such as the material and temperature of the sphere, and can be solved using mathematical equations or numerical methods.
kmoh111

Homework Statement

This problem comes from Frank Attix's book Intro to Radiological Physics and Rad Dosimetry.
From ch. 4 - problem #1:

Approximately what diameter for a sphere of water would be required to approach radiation equilibrium wihin 1% at its center, assuming it contains a uniform dilute solution of 60Cobalt (1.25 MeV gamma rays). Use u(en) and u as approximations to the effective gamma ray attenuation coefficient; this will over- and under-estimate the size respectively.

Homework Equations

u - is the attenuation coefficient for primary photons only
u(en) - is the effective attenuation coefficient for ideal broad beam attenuation

Attix gives the solutions as 312 cm and 144 cm

The Attempt at a Solution

I come close to one of the answers but I'm not sure how u and u(en) come into play here.

(4/3) pi r^3 = .01(1.25MeV).

This gives r = .144

Physics news on Phys.org
This thread can be disregarded. I was able to solve the problem.

The solution to this problem is to use exponential attenuation:

N = N(0) exp(-uL). The approach is to solve for L for given u and u(en) values when 99% of the photons are allowed to pass thru the sphere.

kmoh111 said:
This thread can be disregarded. I was able to solve the problem.

The solution to this problem is to use exponential attenuation:

N = N(0) exp(-uL). The approach is to solve for L for given u and u(en) values when 99% of the photons are allowed to pass thru the sphere.

hi..one of my classmates has asked about this problem too, i was thinking of this solution too, but i can't find the real values for u(en) and u...

i would like to ask, where can i find those values, i keep searching the net but gave me none... hope you would help us.

andy from philippines

God bless

thank you so much kmoh111

God bless :)

hi me again :(

ive tried to solve the problem using exponential attenuation but i always got a different answer...however i tried to use equation 3.14 (build up factor) in attix book... where B is approximately equal to 1.06... here's how it went..

0.99 = (1.06) exp(-uL) and 0.99 = (1.06) exp(u(en)L)

i used u = 0.46903 and u(en)= 0.216626 (this is base from the link that you've given me before)

but i got, L = 0.145 cm and L = 0.313 cm :( Attix gives the solutions as 312 cm and 144 cm

did i lack something in my equation? :(

pls help us...any comments will be very much appreciated

million thanks..

andy :(

Likes Syakira

Related to Finding Sphere Diameter for Radiation Equilibrium?

1. What is Radiation Equilibrium?

Radiation Equilibrium is a state in which the amount of radiation emitted by an object is equal to the amount of radiation absorbed. This balance is important for maintaining the temperature of an object.

2. How is Radiation Equilibrium achieved?

Radiation Equilibrium is achieved when an object is in thermal equilibrium, meaning that there is no net energy transfer between the object and its surroundings. This can be achieved through a combination of radiation, convection, and conduction.

3. What factors affect Radiation Equilibrium?

The factors that affect Radiation Equilibrium include the temperature of the object, the type of material it is made of, and the surrounding environment. Objects with higher temperatures and emissivity will emit more radiation, while objects with lower temperatures will absorb more radiation.

4. How is Radiation Equilibrium related to the greenhouse effect?

The greenhouse effect is a result of Radiation Equilibrium being disrupted. Greenhouse gases in the atmosphere absorb and re-emit radiation, preventing it from escaping into space. This leads to an increase in the overall temperature of the Earth, known as global warming.

5. What are the practical applications of Radiation Equilibrium?

Radiation Equilibrium has many practical applications, such as in the design of thermal insulation, solar panels, and thermoelectric devices. It is also important in understanding the thermal balance of planets and stars, and in the study of climate change and global warming.