Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Subgroups of certain orders

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    I'm not sure how for example I would go about finding the subgroups of S_4 of order 4?

I don't quite understand how I would I find or construct subgroups for a permutation group?

Any advice?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2011 #2

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1 ->2 ->3 ->4 ->1
    1 ->3 ->2 ->4 ->1 for example

4. Nov 19, 2011 #3

jgens

Gold Member

Suppose [itex]\sigma \in S_n[/itex] is a 4-cycle. What can you say about [itex]\langle \sigma \rangle[/itex]?

5. Nov 19, 2011 #4
    After using both your advice I think I have made some progress.

I used (1 2 3 4) and generated a subgroup of order 4, this subgroup was, {id, (1234), (13)(24), (1432)}, is this correct? And this is of order 4 so meets the condition.
    I also did the same with (1324).

After reading a theorem I concluded if I want the subgroups to be of order 4 then the elements of the subgroups must divide 4. So since I've done the two for 4 would I know need to do the same for elements of order 2? Is there a shortcut or do I have to compute them all to check they form subgroups of order 4?

After attempting this with for example (12)(34) I found the usual method of multiplying by itself to try and find a group quickly failed since (12)(34)(12)(34) is simply id.

How do I find the subgroups using elements of order 2?

Thanks for the previous advice and an advance thanks for anymore

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook