1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding tangent lines that pass through given points

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the co-ordinates of all points on the curve f(x)= x3 whose tangent lines pass through the point (a,0)

2. Relevant equations
    f '(x) = nxn-1

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am really not sure how to attack this question. My initial thoughts are to find f '(x) then, given the points (a,0), create a point-slope equation for a line. But, this would only give me one equation. On the other hand, when I look at the graph of x^3 I can't see how two tangent lines could share a point. I'm not sure how I would find the co-ordinates either.

f '(x) = 3x2

y = 3x2 (x-a)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

... and y = x3 .

Hello methionine. Welcome to PF !

4. Feb 9, 2012 #3
    I'm sorry, what do you mean? ".....and y = x3

5. Feb 10, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your line passes through the point (x, x3) as well as the point (a, 0).

6. Feb 10, 2012 #5

hotvette

Homework Helper

I believe there are indeed two lines tangent to the curve that go through the point (a,0). Look carefully.

7. Feb 13, 2012 #6
    Hey guys, I spent the last day mulling this question over in my head, and decided to attack it in a slightly different way.

Basically, did what I was doing up to this point, set a point-slope form equation using x and x and x3 and x1 and y1....

y-x3 = 3x2(x-x3)

Now, I know the line has to pass through (a,0) as well, so I plugged those values into X and Y and ended up with two points.

-x3 = 3x2(a-x3)

Kind of an interesting question for me. I hope my work checks out!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook