Finding Tension in Horizontal circular motion with friction

In summary: Kinetic friction comes into play when the car starts to skid, it causes the centripetal force to be reduced.
applejuicesam

Homework Statement

A car of mass (m) is attached to a cable of length (L) to a rotating pole. The car will speed up and travel in a circle. If the maximum speed of the car is vmax, what should the minimum strength of the cable connecting the car to the pole be? Note the surface is not frictionless.m = 137.7 kg, L = 5.5 m, μK(road-tires) = 1.13, μS(road-tires) = 1.70, vmax = 10.7m/s

** I'm confused because the car is attached by a cable to the pole, but I also have values for static and kinetic friction. If the car is attached to the pole, does friction even matter? Since Ff=Fc and Tension=Fc, doesn't Ff=Tension? And where does kinetic friction factor into this?

Homework Equations

Fc=mv2/r, Fc=Ff, Fc=Tension, ac=v2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

My FBD attempt. (Still confused by the friction).
http://imgur.com/asxof5h [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hints
On a car (without a pole) what normally provides the centripetal force needed to go around a corner?
What limits how fast the car can go around the corner?
If the car was to go faster than that limit it will skid because there is insufficient centripetal force - what could provide the additional centripetal force?

CWatters said:
Hints
On a car (without a pole) what normally provides the centripetal force needed to go around a corner?
What limits how fast the car can go around the corner?
If the car was to go faster than that limit it will skid because there is insufficient centripetal force - what could provide the additional centripetal force?
-The force of friction allows it to go around a corner.
-The value of static friction limits the speed of the car. (Higher coefficient of static friction allows for the turn to be navigated at greater speed).
-If the car exceeds the max speed allowed by the force of friction, it starts to skid and the force is kinetic friction...and kinetic friction points opposite to the direction of motion.

*I'm still not sure how the cable tension is involved in this?

It's hard to give another hint without giving the whole answer.

See last line of my post above.

What could provide the additional centripetal force to stop it skidding when going too fast for friction alone?

CWatters said:
It's hard to give another hint without giving the whole answer.

See last line of my post above.

CWatters said:
What could provide the additional centripetal force to stop it skidding when going too fast for friction alone?
The tension of the attached cable...but if this is so, why are you assuming that the car is skidding in the first place? How do I know that the max velocity given is enough to cause it to skid, causing the Tension of the cable to aid in centripetal force?

I'm not assuming it will skid. In fact it can't skid unless the rope fails.

You don't need to know exactly how fast the car is going to write an equation for the tension in the cable and hence its minimum strength. You can always add a note that below a certain speed the minimum strength of the rope is zero.

Actually I see they tell you the Max speed. Have you tried calculating if it will skid?

CWatters said:
Actually I see they tell you the Max speed. Have you tried calculating if it will skid?
Okay. I calculated that the max speed is 9.57 m/s which means that it will skid without any additional centripetal forces! So right now I'm conceptualizing that the Force of static friction and the tension in the cable add together keep the car moving at the given max speed, calling it Fc total. So I can find the tension of the cable by finding the Fc total and subtracting the Fstatic friction. If I'm reading this all correctly, does the kinetic friction factor in here at all?

applejuicesam said:
Okay. I calculated that the max speed is 9.57 m/s which means that it will skid without any additional centripetal forces! So right now I'm conceptualizing that the Force of static friction and the tension in the cable add together keep the car moving at the given max speed, calling it Fc total. So I can find the tension of the cable by finding the Fc total and subtracting the Fstatic friction. If I'm reading this all correctly, does the kinetic friction factor in here at all?
That's the correct reasoning.
Re kinetic friction, that only comes into play once it starts to skid. What will happen to the centripetal force provided by friction if that happens? If the cable is not strong enough to prevent skidding, will it be strong enough to hold a car which is starting to skid?
(Note also that if we take the cable as being completely inextensible them skidding would imply the cable has already failed.)

1. How do I calculate the tension in horizontal circular motion with friction?

To calculate the tension in horizontal circular motion with friction, you will need to use the following formula: T = mv2/r + mgμ, where T is tension, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, r is the radius of the circular motion, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

2. What factors affect the tension in horizontal circular motion with friction?

The tension in horizontal circular motion with friction is affected by the mass of the object, the velocity at which it is moving, the radius of the circular motion, the acceleration due to gravity, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is moving on.

3. Can the tension be negative in horizontal circular motion with friction?

Yes, the tension can be negative in horizontal circular motion with friction. This occurs when the friction force is greater than the centripetal force, causing the object to slow down and move in the opposite direction. In this case, the tension is acting in the opposite direction of the motion and is considered negative.

4. How does friction affect the tension in horizontal circular motion?

Friction plays a significant role in determining the tension in horizontal circular motion. Friction is responsible for reducing the speed of the object, which decreases the centripetal force and increases the tension in the rope or string. Friction also contributes to the overall force that needs to be overcome to maintain the circular motion, making it an essential factor in calculating the tension.

5. What is the significance of finding the tension in horizontal circular motion with friction?

Finding the tension in horizontal circular motion with friction is crucial for understanding the forces acting on the object and ensuring its stability. It also allows us to determine the maximum speed at which the object can move without breaking the rope or string, providing valuable information for designing and analyzing circular motion systems.