1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Tension of String Connecting Two Blocks on a Flat Surface

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two blocks mA= 5.0 g and mB= 10.0kg are connected to a string. Both blocks sit on a smooth inclined surface where the angle on the inclined plane is 30.0°. Block A is about block B on the incline. Find the acceleration of the system of two blocks. What is the tension TB in the string.

2. Relevant equations
    ƩF=m(a)
    Fa= mA(g) sin θ
    Fb= mBsinθ

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used an archived thread to attempt to solve this problem, I got the tension to be 0.

Mass block A= 5.0kg
    Mass block B= 10.0 kg
    mg of block A= 49 N
    mg of block B= 98 kg

Fa= mg of block A (sin30°) = 24.5 N
    Fb= mg of block B (sin 30°)= 49 N
    First I found the acceleration of the blocks as a whole using the equation ƩFa=m(acceleration of a) : a = 73.5N/15.0kg, so I found acceleration to be 4.9 m/s^2.

Then I drew separate free body diagrams for each block to solve for the tension.

Block A Tension = T+ƩFA=ma(acceleration)
    I found the tension to be zero.
    I used the same equation for block B except I subtracted the tension from the force because the tension is acting in a negative x direction.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2011 #2
    what do you mean by
    "Block A is about block B on the incline". please type the problem in original and with figure if there is any.......is the string attached to a pulley or the wall ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook