Finding the 4-velocity of a world line

• Thread starter trezm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, the problem is about finding the components of an observer's 4-velocity, given their world line and the metric ds2 = -X2dT2 + dX2. The equation for the 4-velocity is u = (X2dT/dτ, dX/dτ, 0, 0) and can also be found by taking the derivative of the observer's position in space-time with respect to τ. It is important to keep in mind that the 4-velocity is a vector with four components, representing the observer's velocity in the four dimensions of space-time.
trezm
Hello! This is my first post, and I was wondering if anyone could help my uncertainty about this problem.

Homework Statement

given an observer's world line, X = 2T and the metric ds2 = -X2dT2 + dX2, find the components of the observer's 4-velocity

Homework Equations

I'm using the equation that ds2/dτ2 = u = e0

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking our equation for ds2 and dividing it by dτ2, I solve for dX2/dτ2 = u2, keeping in mind that this also equals -1, to get that dX2/dτ2 = X2dT2/dτ2 - 1.

Is the correct way to think about it? And from the observers frame, is her 4-velocity u = ( X2dT2/dτ2 - 1, 0 , 0, 0 )?

Thanks so much for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! It looks like you are on the right track with your solution. Just to clarify, the equation for the 4-velocity should be u = (X2dT/dτ, dX/dτ, 0, 0). This is because the 4-velocity is a vector with four components, representing the observer's velocity in the four dimensions of space-time. So, the first component represents the observer's velocity in the time dimension, and the second component represents the observer's velocity in the space dimension.

In terms of your approach, you are correct in dividing the metric by dτ2 to get the 4-velocity. Another way to think about it is to use the fact that u = dx/dτ, where x is the observer's position in space-time. So, in this case, x = (X, T), and taking the derivative with respect to τ gives u = (dX/dτ, dT/dτ).

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for further clarification if needed. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Finding the 4-velocity of a world line

What is the definition of 4-velocity?

The 4-velocity of a world line is a concept from special relativity that describes the rate of change of an object's position in space-time. It is a four-dimensional vector that takes into account both the object's speed and its direction of motion.

How is 4-velocity calculated?

4-velocity is calculated by taking the derivative of an object's position with respect to proper time. This means that it takes into account not only the object's speed in space, but also the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

What is the importance of 4-velocity in special relativity?

4-velocity is important in special relativity because it is a fundamental concept that helps us understand the relationship between an object's motion and the fabric of space-time. It also allows us to make predictions about how an object will behave at high speeds.

Can 4-velocity be negative?

No, 4-velocity cannot be negative. It always has a positive value, as it represents the magnitude and direction of an object's motion in space-time.

How does 4-velocity differ from 3-velocity?

4-velocity differs from 3-velocity in that it takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, while 3-velocity only considers an object's speed in three-dimensional space. 4-velocity is a four-dimensional vector, while 3-velocity is a three-dimensional vector.