1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the acceleration of a balloon

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    1. An empty spherical weather balloon with a mass of 5 kg has a radius of 2.879 m when fully inflated with helium. It is supposed to carry a small load of instruments having a mass of 10 kg. Taking air and helium to have densities of 1.16 kg/m^3, respectively, what will be the acceleration of the balloon and load immediately after it is released?

2. i have a= v^2/r and Bernoulli's equation P1+.5(pv1^2+pgy1)=P2+.5(pv2^2+pgy2)

3. I keep trying to figure a way to manipulate Bernoulli's equation to solve for v to plug into the first equation but can't get it to work. I also tried solving for escape speed (vesc=the square root of 2GM/R). But that doesn't use the densities. I'm extremely confused at this point.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you need Bernoulli's equation?
    Isn't it simply bouyant force upward and weight down.

Remember immediately after release it has no velocity

4. Dec 2, 2009 #3
    no i have bernoulli's equation but i don't know how to solve for the acceleration immediately after release...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook