Finding the acceleration of gravity given 2 masses

In summary, the problem involves finding the acceleration of gravity from given masses, distance traveled, and a pulley system. The relevant equation is m1 (g+a)=m2 (g-a), which can be expanded and simplified to isolate the acceleration of gravity.
jg871

Homework Statement

We are given 2 hanging masses on opposite sides of a pully. masses and distance traveled in the time are given. We are required to find the acceleration of gravity

Homework Equations

m1 (g+a)=m2 (g-a)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found acceleration and have now changed weights w1 and w2 equal to m1g+m1a and m2g-m2a. I am having trouble solving for g. Could I get some help on how I do this? The answer is 9.7m/s^2 but do not know how to isolate g.
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did that equation come from?

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Where did that equation come from?
I'm not entirely certain where the instructor whipped it out but This is what equations have came up with the problem thus far:
T(tension)-w1=m1a which can be turned to T=m1a+w1 which can be turned to T=m1a+m1g. This would be the same case for w2-T=m2a. Then the equation m1g+m1a=m2g+m2a was written down and we were told we could find g from there

Your Relevant equation is fine. It seems that you're having an algebra problem, not a physics problem :smile:

Why not start by expanding both sides of your m1 (g+a)=m2 (g-a) expression, then gather all the terms containing g on one side and the rest on the other side of the equal sign?

m1g-m2g=m2a-m1a? Would I then factor out the g?

jg871 said:
m1g-m2g=m2a-m1a? Would I then factor out the g?
You've lost the sign of the m2a term on the right hand side. It didn't change sides, so it must retain its original sign.

Yes, you then factor out the g and isolate it.

1. What is the equation for finding the acceleration of gravity between two masses?

The equation for finding the acceleration of gravity between two masses is a = G(m1 + m2)/d2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

2. What is the value of the gravitational constant, G?

The gravitational constant, G, is a constant value used in the equation for finding the acceleration of gravity between two masses. It is approximately equal to 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm2/kg2.

3. How do you measure the distance between two masses?

The distance between two masses can be measured using a ruler, tape measure, or other measuring tool. It is important to measure the distance from the center of each object to accurately calculate the acceleration of gravity.

4. Can the acceleration of gravity change?

No, the acceleration of gravity is a constant value that does not change. However, it can vary depending on the location and altitude on Earth, as well as the masses of the objects involved.

5. What are the units for acceleration of gravity?

The units for acceleration of gravity are meters per second squared (m/s2).