Finding the Anti-Derivative of x*cosh(x^2) using Hyperbolic Identities

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Gondur
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the anti derivative of [tex]\int xcosh (x^2) dx[/tex]

Homework Equations



By parts formula and Hyperbolic Identities of sinh x and cosh x as well as others

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]\int xcosh (x^2) dx[/tex]

The problem I'm having is integrating [tex]\int cosh (x^2) dx[/tex]

I tried setting variables [tex]u=x[/tex] and [tex]\frac{dv}{dx}= \int cosh (x^2) dx[/tex] with the assumption this could be solved using the by parts formula.

I then concentrated specifically on solving [tex]\int cosh (x^2) dx[/tex]. I haven't found a method that I know of that's appropriate given that the composite is (x^2) and not (cosh x)^2. Wolfram Alpha shows the solution with an error function - which I know nothing about yet.

I've touched up on Euler's formula [tex]cosx+isinx=e^{ix}[/tex] and its parallel [tex]sinhx+coshx=e^x[/tex] and I'm just about to learn its applications, maybe it should be used here. This area is new to me so light explanations are wise at this time.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need parts, all you need is u-substitution. u = x^2 and du = 2x dx
 
Panphobia said:
You don't need parts, all you need is u-substitution. u = x^2 and du = 2x dx

I tried that but gave up because of the extraneous x which would mean substituting it for [tex]\sqrt {u}[/tex].

The x in the numerator cancels ut the out in x in the denominator.

Sorry I got it.
 
look
u = x^2
du = 2x * dx

du/2 = x * dx

(1/2)∫cosh(u)du

Now from there its pretty easy as you can see.
 
Panphobia said:
look
u = x^2
du = 2x * dx

du/2 = x * dx

(1/2)∫cosh(u)du

Now from there its pretty easy as you can see.


Yes the x variables cancel each other out. I figured it out