1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the basis for a vector space

1. Aug 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a basis for the following vector space:

The set of 2x2 matrices A such that CA=0 where C is the matrix : 1 2
    3 6

3. The attempt at a solution

I multiplied C by a general 2x2 matrix : a b and got 4 equations but two of these equations are the
    c d

same and it seems as I am going around in circles. I know I need to find a set that is linearly independent and spans the original set but I'm not sure how to proceed.

Help would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That sounds exactly like what you want. Clearly not any 2 x 2 matrix will do, and indeed the two equations you have will fix two relations between a, b, c and d. But since there is not a single unique solution, you should also have at least one parameter which you can vary.

Talking with a practical example is probably clearer, so can you show us which equations you got?

Have a matrix by the way (quote my post to see the code): ##\begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{pmatrix}##

4. Aug 20, 2013 #3
    sorry had no idea how to matrices on the forum

C = ##\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 3 & 6 \end{pmatrix}##

A(my general matrix) = ##\begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{pmatrix}##

CA=0 so when I multiplied, I got

a+2c=0
    b+2d=0
    3a+6c=0
    3b+6d=0

But two of those equations are the same and I don't know what to do after that.

5. Aug 20, 2013 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right, so if you get all the information you can from those equations, you can write your matrix A in terms of two variables only - for example, just a and b.

What does A look like then?

6. Aug 20, 2013 #5
    Makes sense now - got it!

Thanks a lot - help was much appreciated :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted