1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Boundary Conditions of a Potential Well

1. Oct 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the conditions for a bound state, Eqn1 and Eqn2, can be obtained by requiring the vanquishing of the denominators in Eqn3 at k=i[tex]\kappa[/tex]. Can you give the argument for why this is not an accident?

2. Relevant equations

Eqn1: [tex]\alpha[/tex]=q*tan(qa)
    Eqn2: [tex]\alpha[/tex]=-q*cot(qa)

Eqn3:

R= i*e[tex]^{-2ika}[/tex][tex]\frac{(q^{2}-k^{2})*sin(2qa)}{2kq*cos(2qa)-i(q^{2}+k^{2})*sin2qa}[/tex]
    T=e[tex]^{-2ika}[/tex][tex]\frac{2kq}{2kq*cos(2qa)-i(q^{2}+k^{2})*sin2qa}[/tex]

The problem concerns a potential well of V[tex]_{0}[/tex] from -a to a.
    I believe that k[tex]^{2}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{2mE}{h(bar)^{2}}[/tex] and that [tex]\kappa[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]=-[tex]\frac{2m(E-V_{0})}{h(bar)^{2}}[/tex]

I also know that in order to reach these boundaries through another method in the book, they let -[tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{2mE}{h(bar)^{2}}[/tex]...

3. The attempt at a solution
    I removed the demoninators from Eqn3 and tried to substitute k=[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2mE}{h(bar)^{2}}}[/tex] into Eqn3... but not only was this result messy but I couldn't get the boundary conditions, Eqn1 and Eqn2 to come out. Help?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not 100% clear on your problem statement....First, what is [itex]q[/itex]? Second are these the equations you meant to write:

[tex]R= ie^{-2ika}\frac{(q^{2}-k^{2})\sin(2qa)}{2kq\cos(2qa)-i(q^{2}+k^{2})\sin(2qa)}[/tex]

[tex]T=e^{-2ika}\frac{2kq}{2kq\cos(2qa)-i(q^{2}+k^{2})\sin(2qa)}[/tex]

[tex]k=\left(\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}\right)^{1/2}[/tex]

[tex]\kappa=\left(\frac{2m(V_0-E)}{\hbar^2}\right)^{1/2}[/tex]

[tex]\alpha=\left(-\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}\right)^{1/2}[/tex]

?

4. Oct 9, 2009 #3
    [tex]
    q=\left(\frac{2m(E+V_0)}{\hbar^2}\right)^{1/2}
    [/tex]

5. Oct 9, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Okay, let's look at your eqn 3..."the vanquishing of the denominators" is just a fancy way of saying that [itex]2kq\cos(2qa)-i(q^{2}+k^{2})\sin(2qa)=0[/itex]...so [itex]\tan(2qa)=[/itex]___?

6. Oct 10, 2009 #5
    [tex]=\left(\frac{sin(2qa)}{cos(2qa)}\right)?[/tex]

7. Oct 10, 2009 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well of course, but what is that equal to when [itex]2kq\cos(2qa)-i(q^{2}+k^{2})\sin(2qa)=0[/itex]?

8. Oct 10, 2009 #7
    Alright, I'll take a closer look at this at a later time to make sure that I understand it but I think the missing link is that I initially overlooked q and [tex]\alpha[/tex]. I'm sure that the solution will be clear once I make it through the alegbra, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook