Finding the change in pressure and entropy of a quasistatic adiabatic process

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
rg2004
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Suppose that one mole of an ideal gas expands in a quasi-static adiabatic process from P1 = 1 Pa and V1 = 1m3 to V2 = 8m3. What is the change in the pressure and the entropy of the gas?


Homework Equations



PV[tex]\gamma[/tex]=constant

The Attempt at a Solution


I can't come up with a second equation that doesn't introduce another unknown. I've been working on thermodynamics for the past two days almost non-stop and I'm drained. Any help would be nice. thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
perhaps I am supposed to assume that the gas is monoatomic? My textbook is vague and its not clear to me whether all ideal gasses are considered monoatomic.

this is what i found:

[tex]\gamma[/tex]= 5/3 (ideal monatomic gas).